1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2010 10:38 PM by mmainprize

What are the limits that EEPC has on the HDD

Just got my new laptop and it has safe boot installed on it.

Now in the past i always used Acronis True Image 9.5 to back up the Hard drive just in case.

I always used Diskeeper to defrag the hard drive.

I would use Partition Magic to resize the pration as needed when the partion was getting full.

None with safeboot i am not sure i can do any or all of this thing without damage to the files.

So if anyone can comment on these issues.

I have install Acronis TI and made a backup and it seem Ok. I have not tested a restore as i only have the one drive at this time. I assume it would create the partitions as there are and the EEPC would still work after the restore.

I have not installed diskeeper yet, been looking for info it is Ok to use.

The Laptop came with a 250 GB driver. They put two partitions on it. C 200 GB and D 50 GB. That is not how i would have done it. I have a lot of data and don't like to put it on the OS partition. Plus the Documents and Settings directory was put on the D drive so i have to back it all up everytime to be safe.

The last laptop i got i used partition magic to resize the partitions without any problems, but it was a boot disk and i don't think it would work with safeboot on this laptop.

Thank for any help and info

MM

• 1. Re: What are the limits that EEPC has on the HDD

If this is a company laptop, then you should talk to local IT people to convince them to change your machine configuration.

You can run backup programs when they are performing within Windows that you login after EEPC authentication. Any externaly booted Windows, must have EEPC drivers and you have to authenticate, could be by means of SDB file. There is BartPE CD with WinTech described in EEPC documentation.

Be careful with defragmenters, some EEPC files should be exempt from moving, otherwise you face Emergency recovery procedure.

I don't think partition magic is a good tool here. I would just backup partitions, and restore them changing their size. Using mentioned WinTech CD and disk imaging tool.

• 2. Re: What are the limits that EEPC has on the HDD

Well i guess it was a good thing i asked. Thanks for the informative answers.

My IT people will not be the option for me. They are why i am in this boat to begin with.

I am 100% remote user, have not been to a company office for over six years and the local office is over 250 miles away an has no IT people. Instead of someone coming to my location and xfer my data to the new laptop, i had to have it sent to some office so the some field tech could load the the PC and join the domain before he then sends it to me. I now have to finish the setup and xfer all my data.

So my options are as follows it seems. Get every thing xfered and working on the new laptop. return old laptop. Make a backup of the new laptop. Restore to a different HDD. Fix the MBR and then run without safeboot. Hopefully it is not forced back to me and if it is then at least the partitions would be the way i like them.

don't run diskeeper i guess, and have a fragmented drive and poor performance, with the large VM files, or get an external drive for the VM's so i can defrag them as needed. I could convert the VM's to fixed size disk and waste disk space i guess that way i won't need to defrag them.

I will have to read up here at the forum and see if i can find these EEPC tools and CD you are talking about and maybe i could do some of this stuff myself but it is a slim chance my IT would give me the keys.

Message was edited by: mmainprize on 4/25/10 11:12:39 AM CDT
            • 3. Re: What are the limits that EEPC has on the HDD

Mike, your company is serious about protecting their assets and preventing themselves getting into legal hot water due to data disclosure, I think it would be dangerous for you to try to bypass their protection.

• 4. Re: What are the limits that EEPC has on the HDD

Point taken.

I have been doing fine for the last twenty years before this PC without using safeboot.

Not sure what everyone is smoking this days making them paranode, but this tech stuff cuts both ways.

I am not the average user, i can see the down side and the up side of using safeboot.

I can see many of the average users having massive data loss because of backup software is not provided that will work with safeboot. I just happen to have my own backup software. I guess they need to provide externel drive to backup the data files, but then why use safe boot if you are going to keep your data on an externel drive.

It is just an accident waiting to happen. Although i think most everyone else is getting there PC locked down with out admin rights. So i guess i am lucky.

Being remote has it challenges and i must try and run everything on the laptop it seems because of all the restrictions that come with VPN, safeboot and others it makes doing my work about 30 to 50% harder and more time consuming. I always try to find the shortest way to do things but must jump through hoops these days for every step it seems.

Good thing i am about to retire, these new young kids will never know what is use to be like.

Good day.

• 5. Re: What are the limits that EEPC has on the HDD

Our experience was that if you run partition magic after EEPC has encrypted the HDD, it will not boot.  I can't speak about Acronis.

• 6. Re: What are the limits that EEPC has on the HDD

You might be missing something Mike - Your company is not really using encryption to protect their data, they are using it to protect >our< data ;-)

Because of the risk of identity theft, and the tremendous disruption that causes, and because cybercrime revenues are on par with the drug trade in the USA now, 48 states have enacted regulations which force businesses to take care of, and pay attention to peoples personal information. One of the most practical ways of doing that when the information is mobile, is to encrypt it, and, because we don't have intelligent enough systems to properly identify (to a legally defendable level of confidence) what's sensitive and what isn't (though DLP is close!), and because, in general, confidence that users will choose to protect sensitive information by their own violation is low, full disk encryption is still the most practical solution.

Maybe you just need a desktop not a laptop eh? Personally I never notice the difference with or without encryption - it's like 5% worst case passmark measurement. I guess if you're doing local SQL database work and you don't have much memory though the disk thrashing could get onerous. 

• 7. Re: What are the limits that EEPC has on the HDD

"You might be missing something Mike - Your company is not really using encryption to protect their data, they are using it to protect >our< data ;-)

"

Protect My data. You got to be kidding.

Lets see, so far they sent me a PC with safeboot on it. No documentation. No software disk for it. No safeboot management software is installed for me to use. I can't resize my partitions. I should not use any third part defrag programs. Not even sure i should use XP's defrag program at this point.

I connect my personal drive and saftboot encrypts it so now my PC's can't see it. Even if i went out and purchased EEPC i could still not see MY data on this potable hard drive on any PC other then my company PC. They sure protected it, so good i can't use it unless i still work for them. When MY data becomes out of MY control it is no longer MY data.

I put data on this company PC and i have no way at this time to restore this disk if i have any problems. I was not given or so i have access to the wintech or safetech CD's. I was not given or have acces to the PE Plugin for safeboot to make my own disk. So MY DATA is toast once it is under safeboot. If i had to hope that the IT guy over 2000 miles away is going to help me only if the the PC boots and get on the network and at that point even he is limited to what he can do remotely also.

I right now want to install VMware workstation, i can't use a local admin account they deleted them all, i have to use my domain account, I can't disable the Virus scan during this install. This is a major install, I am afraid to install it because if i have any major issue and i end up with a blue screen or something i could never get this PC back to normal and some one 2000 miles away would have to send me a new disk and i would have to start over setting everything up. It is because of safeboot and my lack of control that makes me afraid, i have never felt like this before when it comes to PC's.

I am not complaining about the proformance of the encryption algo, it is all the other limitations that come along with it. If i was given control of the safeboot management files and tools i wouold not have that much of a problem with it. But since it is out of my control i have big problems with it.

• 8. Re: What are the limits that EEPC has on the HDD

I feel if they gave you control of their pc, you'd remove all the security, and then risk a multi-million dollar data disclosure suit... If your company want to let you use one of their PC's, they have a right to keep control over it don't you think? My advice, don't put your personal data on your companies PC - use your own personal PC?

You're not alone in having minimal admin rights on a company owned device - that's how most places work now. And it's true, if your company IT team want to block you from accessing their machine, they can do it at an instants notice now.

• 9. Re: What are the limits that EEPC has on the HDD

MM, no offense but you are infosec nightmare, you are probally the reason they are using safeboot. If i was in the IT dept there would be no way in hell you would be given the keys for safeboot, There is a reason machines are locked down. If you want to use a company machine and work for the company then abide by their wishes, or quit the company.

1 2 Previous Next