5 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 10:27 AM by JoeBidgood

Can't update to agent 4.5 on one laptop

manning

Hello all,

I have one laptop on my network that I just can't get to update from agent 3.6 to 4.5 I've been able to see it on my network for a while, but any time I try to wake up the agent or ping it, it fails. It does seem to update consistently, so that is good. Oh, and it is a known computer, not a rogue.

So, I took the computer in hand today and manually ran 'Update Now' and that worked fine. It found my ePO server and updated, and even patched. So I went back to the ePO console and tried to ping, nothing. failed as always. Removed the system and then added it back to my network Group and it shows up as unmanaged. Tried to push the agent and it fails. Removed McAfee 8.7i P3 and force unistalled the old agent and tried again, still nothing. Any shots in the dark at what is causing this?

System is XP SP3, same standard config as all the other laptops on the network, except they don't cause any problems.

• 1. Re: Can't update to agent 4.5 on one laptop
          manning

I don't see where you can edit your own posts. I noticed something I wrote above doesn't make sense.

Where I wrote "...I have one laptop on my network that I just can't get to update from agent 3.6 to 4.5 I've been able to see it on my network for a while, but any time I try to wake up the agent or ping it, it fails. It does seem to update consistently" I meant I can't get the agent to update from 3.6 to 4.5, but the system does still contact the ePO and update DATs, hotfixes, etc.

• 2. Re: Can't update to agent 4.5 on one laptop
            JoeBidgood

If it's just the one machine it might be easier to try upgrading the agent manually. Copy the framepkg.exe from the master repository (..\DB\Software\Current\EPOAGENT3000\Install\0409\Framepkg.exe)  to the offending machine and run it while logged on as an administrator. This will run the installer interactively and hopefully give a better idea of what's happening...

Regards -

Joe

• 3. Re: Can't update to agent 4.5 on one laptop
              manning

Hey Joe,

I'm going to give that a try when the user gets back to the office. Hopefully that clears up the issue.

And yeah, just that one computer seems to have the problem. Nothing too out of the ordinary in its config other than a couple Cisco clients for accessing some of our customers networks. However, this isn't the only computer with those clients and the others don't have any issues with the ePO agent.

• 4. Re: Can't update to agent 4.5 on one laptop
                manning

That worked perfectly. I'm still not 100% sure what was hanging up the ability to push the agent, but manually installing worked without a hitch. I suspect something was left behind in the registry from unistalling/forcing the unistall of the old agent.

• 5. Re: Can't update to agent 4.5 on one laptop
                  JoeBidgood

Glad that's sorted it

Regards -

Joe