3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2010 1:55 PM by jjs

Disable firewall from control panel when logged in as admin

REQUEST FOR CHANGE

I believe when I log in to an individual client machine control panel that I should be able to DISABLE that firewall after I have entered my administration credentials for the purposes of working on an individual machine.

Current scenario: Log in as an admin to client control panel. There is no facility to disable the firewall if the security center is being used to manage that firewall. I have to disable the firewall or set to report for all members of a group from security center. I then have to manually update the single client pc. I then do my work. I then have to reenable protection from the secuirty center. I then have to manually update the single client machine. This can be slow and cumbersome.

Requested scenario: Log in as an admin, have the facility to override the security center settings to disable the firewall. I can then re-enable locally when work is completed.

regards

Argint

• 1. Re: Disable firewall from control panel when logged in as admin

With the current software, you should indeed be able to disable the firewall from the Console on the client machine (if that is what you're referring to in your question), as follows:-

1. Open the Console on the client machine.
          2. Click on Action Menu and select Product Details: this should give you a screen entitled Product Details and Actions.
          3. In the Firewall Protection section click on the Disable button, and (after a while) your firewall will be disabled.
          4. To reenable, just click the Enable button on the same Product Details and Actions screen.

Does this answer your question, or have I misunderstood it?

Regards,

John

• 2. Re: Disable firewall from control panel when logged in as admin

Hi - Many thanks  for the reply. As I mentioned in my post - the issue is that if one is managing ones nodes centrally as an administrator from the security center, then as far as i can see, no, one cannot locally disable the firewall on an individual machine. The steps above have to be followed.

If you manage nodes centrally from security center and log in to the console, you will see that the ability to disable the firewall is greyed out. This is either a bug, an oversight, or a design issue.

Or - someone has fixed it since last week and I havent been told ;-)

Regards

Argint

• 3. Re: Disable firewall from control panel when logged in as admin

Apologies, Argint, I did misunderstand your question.

I hope you get a helpful answer soon from McAfee.

Regards,

John