6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 6:41 AM by exbrit

McAfee Full Scan and Windows Aero

First off, I apologize--I'm not a computer techie.

Anyway, since Easter, occasionally when I have conducted full scans (my McAfee subscription was automatically updated to AntiVirus Plus April 14--and I purchased McAfee from my local Office Depot--as they recommend that product--in Dec. 2009) on my 2-year old Compaq Presario (with Windows Vista while I have disabled Aero as my "colors and appearance" option), I have occassionally noticed that my full scans stall (sometimes for at least an hour--and then I would have to cancel the scan) when coming to this file:

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_m  [. . . ] f1c7e8575\aero.msstyles

I didn't have any problems on my last full scan when McAfee came across this file last week (I like doing full scans once a week if possible), but today the full scan stalled again on the above file--even after disabling the Windows Aero option in "Colors and Appearance" and after the upgrade.

Has anyone had similar problems with this file in their full scans, and if so, what is the explanation for this?  What do you recommend in solving this problem--this is making me start to wonder if I should look at another antivirus product (which would be my fourth one I will have used in 2 years--I started out with Trend and later Webroot--but those gave me problems, particularly Webroot's failure to update my product)?

• 1. Re: McAfee Full Scan and Windows Aero

Shortly after posting this question, I thought my problem got solved: by making sure my laptop did not go to "sleep" during a McAfee full scan-- which made it seem that the scan was freezing at 83% on the file ending in "aero.msstyles".

Today, even though I still made sure the computer didn't fall asleep, my full scan stalled again at the above-listed file (even though I have the Windows Aero style option disabled on my computer).  Anyone know what the problem might be?

• 2. Re: McAfee Full Scan and Windows Aero
            exbrit

Leatherneck wrote:

Shortly after posting this question, I thought my problem got solved: by making sure my laptop did not go to "sleep" during a McAfee full scan-- which made it seem that the scan was freezing at 83% on the file ending in "aero.msstyles".

Today, even though I still made sure the computer didn't fall asleep, my full scan stalled again at the above-listed file (even though I have the Windows Aero style option disabled on my computer).  Anyone know what the problem might be?

Leatherneck,

Sorry your original post wasn't answered.

Having a feature disabled shouldn't have any bearing on how VirusScan scan its components.  Are you saying it only stalls if Aero is disabled?   If so I think Technical Support Chat might want to know (Useful Links above).

Perhaps that file is corrupted?

VirusScan can also stall if there are disk read errors so try the following:

Go to Start/Search and type in cmd

In the list above that hopefully has appeared find Cmd.exe, right-click and "Run as Administrator" and OK any prompts.

In the Command Prompt window type in chkdsk C: /r (with the spaces and alter C to whatever drive letter it is if you are using a different one) and hit Enter

You'll get a reject most likely stating that the volume is in use, try at next reboot Y/N?   Type Y and click Enter, then reboot.

Let the process complete - it can take quite a while.

• 3. Re: McAfee Full Scan and Windows Aero
              exbrit

Meanwhile do a Google Search for aero.msstyles corrupted and see quite a few solutions posted on various reputable forums.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/06/10 4:52:46 EDT PM
              • 4. Re: McAfee Full Scan and Windows Aero

ExBrit,

The full scan was starting to stall on the aero.msstyles file around Easter.  At the time I had not yet disabled Aero as my windows style option.  I disabled Aero Apr. 13, which increased my laptop's speed for one day--then I was forced to install my updated version of McAfee AntiVirus Plus.  I was still having the same problems with aero.msstyles occassionally until Apr. 23--then didn't have any problems until today (June 13).  The last full scan I conducted was this past Thursday, which was successful.

Again, I am in no means a computer repair wizard--I don't want to do anything to mess up my computer.  Although the file in question was part of my C file, would it also help to stay off the Internet and other programs EXCEPT FOR McAfee during its 2 1/2 hour full scan (in most cases)--even temporarily unplug my high-speed Internet connection from my laptop during the duration of the scan (I live in an area where I could not pick up other wireless networks)?

I'll keep your suggestion in mind--I might also take my computer to my local Office Depot for their Free PC checkup and have them look at it (I bought my McAfee program from Office Depot per their recommendation).  I hope I don't have to buy my fourth different antivirus/spyware program (first Trend and Webroot, now McAfee--of course all previous spyware programs have been uninstalled) since I got my computer in late December 2007 (I have Windows Vista).

Anyone else have any other suggestions for my problem?

• 5. Re: McAfee Full Scan and Windows Aero

And here's another funny thing I noticed today, and I wonder if this could be part of the problem--if I attempt the "Run a Custom Scan" option, I get a "McAfee Security Center has stopped working" prompt.

Now my quick scans--I've never had problems with any of them since I installed McAfee in Dec. 2009.

Could it also be that I could have a corrupted version of McAfee Security Center and it may need to be reinstalled?  (If so, I'll take my PC to Office Depot and have them do it/diagnose the problem).

• 6. Re: McAfee Full Scan and Windows Aero
                    exbrit

The first thing I did this morning was check to see if I had a pristine copy of that file that I could have copied and sent to you to replace yours but unfortunately it doesn't exist in the same form in a 64-bit system.   If you have access to another x86 Vista machine that works OK you could  try copying that file over & replacing yours.  You may need to do it  in Safe Mode to avoid security restrictions.

That scan I suggested earlier will not harm your system.  It is a routine disk check and although sounds complicated, is not.   It wont alter anything system-wise but will attempt to repair disk-read errors.

The other thing one can do is try to do a repair of Vista which may or may not replace the file.   I say may or may nor because system repair only repairs system, hence its name.   I'm assuming that is a standard system file which I think it is.  The only problem with that is you will then have to install many updates all over again.

See this tutorial on how to repair 32 or 64-bit Vista with or without service packs, don't worry that forum is perfectly reliable: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html?ltr=R

Meanwhile you could check if the system scan will run smoothly in safe mode by booting into Safe Mode by tapping F8 while booting up then going to Computer and right-clicking the hard drive and selecting "Scan".   If it jams up then there is something wrong.

You might also was to run an independent scan.  Try the FREE version of THIS tool.  Update before running and let it remove anything it finds.  Reboot immediately when asked to, if asked to.

Another thought, are you using Registry cleaners and optimizers?   If so, stop now as they do more harm than good, believe me, I've tried them all.  If you have one that has a restore function, see if that helps.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/06/10 7:41:51 EDT AM