6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 3:27 PM by techgeek_us

Uninstall Competitor products

Hi All,

We have EPO server with the latest version (4.5 SP1) and latest VirusScan Enterprise and we are currently planning to move from Trand to McAfee anti virus.

On our desktops we are running Trandmicro office Scan 8.0 sp1.

When we try to uninstall Trandmicro office scan from the desktops we geeting the following error message (look at the first line)..

Thursday, 22 April 2010 4:12:54 PM  Info Updater  Can't get uninstall command from plug-in area.
      Thursday, 22 April 2010 4:12:54 PM  Info  Updater  Checking for software conflicts.
      Thursday, 22 April 2010 4:12:54 PM  Info  Updater  Update Finished
      Thursday, 22 April 2010 4:12:54 PM  Info  Scheduler  The task Uninstall Office Scan is successful
      Thursday, 22 April 2010 4:12:54 PM  Info  Scheduler  Scheduler: Task [Uninstall Office Scan] is finished

We have removed the password protection from the Office Scan clients.

Does any one knows what can it be ?

• 1. Re: Uninstall Competitor products
          apellepa

You can remove OfficeScan using OfficeScan Console by "Network Computers" - "Client Managment" - "Tasks" - "Uninstall"

• 2. Re: Uninstall Competitor products

Did you ever come up with a solution that works to remove OfficeScan 8.0?  I just installed VirusScan 8.7 on several machines that had Office Scan 8.0.  All of them froze up and failed to remove Office Scan 8.0.  Now I ahve to manually remove Office Scan and stop its services.

• 3. Re: Uninstall Competitor products

Hi There,

Yes, I managed to fix the issue by doing this.

You need to use VirusScan 8.7i patch 2, if you use any other version it will not work.

I think you will have to call McAfee to send you the this version because now they got patch 3 available for download only.

After you check in Patch 2 you can load patch 3 only and the client will update the software to patch 3 automatically (don't use the full 8.7i with patch 3 beacuse it will not work).

and remember, the uninstall password protaction on OfficeScan needs to be disabled in order for the uninstall to work.

Hope it helps.

Simon

• 4. Re: Uninstall Competitor products
                Guest88

Hi

I also faced with error in uninst.ini file from last reposted package of VirusScan 8.7 with patch 3.

During installation process, VirusScan not more detect Trend Micro OfficeScan 8 clients.

In original files setting looks:

;***********************************************************************

;*************************NEW PRODUCT***********************************

;Trend Micro OfficeScan Client 8.0/10.0

[PRODUCT_127]

szDisplayName=Trend Micro OfficeScan Client

szLocalizeName=Trend Micro OfficeScan Client

bSkipProduct=0

bCheckForInstall=1

nNumberChecks=2

eInstallCheck_0=eSpecialCase

eInstallCheck_1=eUninstStatus

InstallCheck0_1=FORCEINSTALL

;*********

;Uninstall

;*********

nNumberUninstSteps=1

eUninstStep_0=eSpecialCase

Instead original lines I used followings line to fix the issue:

;*************************NEW PRODUCT***********************************

;Trend Micro OfficeScan Client 8.0/10.0

[PRODUCT_127]

szDisplayName=Trend Micro OfficeScan Client

szLocalizeName=Trend Micro OfficeScan Client

bSkipProduct=0

bCheckForInstall=1

nNumberChecks=2

eInstallCheck_0=eInstallPath

InstallCheck0_0=HKLM

InstallCheck1_0=SOFTWARE\TrendMicro\PC-cillinNTCorp\CurrentVersion

InstallCheck2_0=Application Path

InstallCheck3_0=String

InstallCheck4_0=

eInstallCheck_1=eUninstStatus

InstallCheck0_1=FORCEINSTALL

;*********

;Uninstall

;*********

nNumberUninstSteps=1

eUninstStep_0=eSpecialCase

Tested with ePO 4.5 deployment over OfficeScan 8 and 10 with successes results.

Best regards

Message was edited by: Guest88 on 5/6/10 2:58:03 AM CDT

Message was edited by: Guest88 on 5/6/10 2:58:39 AM CDT
                • 5. Re: Uninstall Competitor products

Everything looks like it is working now.  Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Uninstall Competitor products

I have an ePO 4.5 SP3 system that doesn't quite match with the uninst.ini provided here. Just the same, I tried to append this version to the end (and incremented the number at the top), but it doesn't uninstall OfficeScan. When I execute setupvse manually, it does recognize that OfficeScan is installed and offers to uninstall it, but does not actually do so.

Is the uninst.ini actually documented somewhere? If I understood how it worked, I am sure I could modify it to fix my problem. Thanks.