There was a bad update which has since been rectified but some machines simply seized up as a result. Boot into Safe Mode and go to C:\Program Files\VirusScan\DAT and delete its contents.
Reboot and right-click the taskbar icon to update immediately.
If that fails you can either try a System Restore to before yesterday's update or go again into Safe Mode and initiate an uninstall of the entire product.
Reboot and re-download from your acocunt. This time that update wont be included.
Same problem here, but after I have deleted my DAT file I can't even my "M"on my taskbar has also disappeared. How do I go about it then?
I also tried deleting my whole Mcafee, but it has frozen up and I can't even access it.
Can't you open SecurityCenter form the shortcut in Start/All Programs? If so you can initiate an update from there or click "Fix" if a red warning is displayed.
If not then run the MCPR removal tool listed under Useful Links above, reboot and reinstall from your account.
Nope. It just won't open and I can't use the tool either because I can't access internet also.
This updat has paralized my whole computer and I really need it for my work.
From a working computer, download http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/tools/SDAT5958_EM.exe and save it to a removable media (eg: Thumb Drive, CDROM).
1. Start the affected computer in Safe Mode (When booting, press F8 and choose Safe Mode).
2. Copy the SDAT5958_EM.EXE file to your desktop.
3. Run the SDAT5958_EM.EXE tool.
4. Open My Computer and navigate to C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan.
5. Delete the DAT folder.
6. Restart the computer normally.
7. After the computer restarts, right-click the M icon and manually check for an update to get the new DAT files.
Hi Michel367 ,
If you'r not able to complete the above , please follow these steps :
Please follow these steps and update me on the status;
1. Start the computer in Safe Mode. (When starting press F8 and pick Safe Mode)
2. Open My Computer
3. Double Click C:
4. Double Click Program Files
5. Double Click McAfee
6. Double Click VirusScan
7. Delete the DAT folder
8. Press Click Start>Run Type cmd and Click OK
9. In the command prompt window type CD\
10. Now type dir svchost.exe /s /b
11. See the screenshot below. The command will return the location of svchost files.
12. C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\svchost.exe is very common on XP so hopefully you find it there.
13. Once you find it copy it from that location to C:\Windows\system32
14. For example copy C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\svchost.exe c:\windows\system32
15. Once the file is copied reboot
16. If functionality is restored uninstall and reinstall McAfee to get updated DATs.
Do revert back if you have any issue performing the same, and tell me exactly where the problems occurs s sot that we could cope up from there.
Have been trying that all day, but it just won't work.
Could not find the svchost.exe file on my pc, but can't remove Mcafee either as I cannot access it.
Do you guys have another solution so I can get the programm off of my pc without me having to get access to the program the normal way and without having the use of internet?
I had a weird problem as well.
I did not get the "clock screen",but only lost the internet, and paste option nor could I open Mcafee.
I booted to safe mode and then ran the Mcafee DAT removal tool.
When I started the computer, I got paste and the internet back, but the clock screen appeared, which I was able to stop through run->shutdown -a.
Then after a few minutes of work it showed the clock again, and now shutdown -a, didn't help, and I lost internet access as well as paste.
Mcafee did sort of worked.
I entered safe mode again, and the key thing in my case was to delete the DAT folder in safe mode after running the Mcafee DAT removal tool yet again.
Then, when i restarted my computer (through task mange->shut down), I got control over Mcafee and disabled the real-time scanning thing.
After that it worked for a while, but it wouldn't update the DAT file ("Your system is up to date" or something of that sort, when the DAT version was 5958).
So I reinstalled Mcafee from the website, and then everything was back to normal (I hope ).
Hope it Helps.
p.s: sorry for any typos, English is not my first language.
Really a weird thing, but my problem is still that I can't get on internet and I have now decided that I will save everything of "value"and just simply format the HD and install everything all over again.
I'm really really mad and fedup with this whole thing. It has allready cost me a full day of income.