1 Reply Latest reply on May 20, 2010 9:59 AM by Dinz

can't open security center

Every time I try to open McAfee a window pops up telling me that a restart is required to install updates.

So I did, and McAfee still won't open. There's one thing I can think of that may have infected my PC- I got a pop up

at a website that may be less than reputable (McAfee's site report said it was safe) that said my PC had been infected with a trojan

and to click here for some kind of removal tool download. I closed that window immidiately and ran a full scan which showed no threats.

That was over 2 weeks ago. So I had that same pop up while at a site I've used for years with no problem just 2 days ago.

Now I can't open McAfee. I've tried from several different routes and right clicking to run a scan or make changes but nothing works.

One poster here said to delete McAfee's volatile folder in the Registry. Is this a good idea?

I don't know what to do! I'm sure my PC's infected and McAfee can't even be accessed.

Please help

• 1. Re: can't open security center
          Dinz

Hello djpj77,

McAfee releases updates regularly. Some of these updates require a restart of your computer in order to complete the update process. And if any of the update is not istalled in the appropriate way is shoud be, we might get a pop up to restart the computer , while opening security center.
          Please take a back up of registry (
          For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/EN-US/.
          )

And then navigate to :

Hkey_LocalMachine – Software – McAfee  And the delete the volatile folder.

Restart the computer and then try to open security center , everything should work fine. Please keep me posted on this, if you still experience the problem .

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator