7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2010 11:06 AM by sameer172006

What is "Web Filtering", and what is its relationship to "Safe Surfing"?

I have purchased multiple licences for "Safe Surfing" as a component of the Total Protection Service (Standard) [see, for example, "http://shop.mcafee.com/ProductRecommender.aspx"], but this component does not show (with that name) in our SecurityCenter.

What does show in our SecurityCenter is "Web Filtering", but this is listed showing no licences for this component derived form our multiple Total Protection Service (Standard) licences.

When we install our standard configuration Total Protection Service on machines, they show as having "Web Filtering" installed, but consuming licences we don't have!

Can someone please clarify - I'm confused!

• 1. Re: What is "Web Filtering", and what is its relationship to "Safe Surfing"?
          zoli62

I think both belong to browser protection module.

• 2. Re: What is "Web Filtering", and what is its relationship to "Safe Surfing"?

Hi JohnScott,

The Safe surfing component which is the part of the McAfee Total protection Service Standard is nothing but the SITE ADVISOR.

This product is adept at keeping you away from malware infested websites. However, It doe snot offer any web filtering, Meaningm, This is just a basic indicator of what sites are safe and unsafe to be used and also blocks the dangerous websites. Something like a Link Scanner.

Now Web Filtering is a whole new thing. This is the latest offering from McAfee where you can actually do web filtering. You can block websites based on the categories. For Ex :- if you chose to block the Category ' Entertainment ' , All the websites classified by McAfee under that category will be blocked. You also have the right to add eceptions.

The Web Filtering is bundled together with the McAfee Total Protection Service - Extended and the McAfee Total protection Service Advanced. Ofcourse, you can buy it stand alone also.

I hope the above helps

Sameer

Please mark the answer as Correct or helpful it was useful so that others can use it as a ready reference.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: What is "Web Filtering", and what is its relationship to "Safe Surfing"?
              zoli62

I do like to add: The SiteAdvisor can block certain sites as well.

• 4. Re: What is "Web Filtering", and what is its relationship to "Safe Surfing"?

Zoli62,

That is right. As I mentioned, Site Advisor can an dwill block all the RED dated or dangerous websites.

Sameer

• 5. Re: What is "Web Filtering", and what is its relationship to "Safe Surfing"?
                  zoli62

Sameer,

That is right. So then wherein can  to do plus the Webfiltering as the SiteAdvisor?

• 6. Re: What is "Web Filtering", and what is its relationship to "Safe Surfing"?

Thanks Sameer, that's helped me understand these two product components.

However, I'm still confused: e.g. when you use the web-based TPS installation facility, it lists a component called "Browser protection", which I typically install; but which of the products we've been discussing am I installing? - "Web Filtering", "Safe Surfing", both of these, or something else?

Regards,

John

P.S. I believe Site Advisor is free to anybody (e.g. see "http://www.siteadvisor.com/howitworks/index.html"), so why is it bundled with TPS as if it were an exclusive component of a paid-for product?

P.P.S. It would be really nice if someone in McAfee could start a campaign for consistent, clear, and non-ambiguous product-names. This is at least the second example that's come to light in the last day or two - the first example was "Total Protection" v "Total Protection Service" v "Total Protection Endpoint" which was creating havoc in another thread ("Total Protection on HP MediaSmart Sever" [stet], q.v.)!  Would anybody like to nominate someone to champion such a campaign within McAfee! Or any volunteers among you McAfee staff?

• 7. Re: What is "Web Filtering", and what is its relationship to "Safe Surfing"?

John Scott,

I am glad that I was able to clear up at least some smoke regarding the whole browser protection

Well, Yes you are right. The Site Advisor is offered free of cost to any one. When you install the McAfee Total Protection Service, You do see a tab called the Browser Protection which is nothing else but your Site Advsior.

But when it comes to the other suites of the SaaS Endpoint protection which have the Web filetring add on to them, That will also show up as Browser Protection but this time, The Site Advisor that you install will give you the capability to block websites at will. This Site Advsior, Also called as Site Advisor Enterprise/Plus has extra features and that is what differentiates it with the Basic Site Advisor which has been distributed free from quite a long time now.

Sameer