8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 10:07 AM by jjs

Total Protection on HP MediaSmart Sever

I purchased an HP MediaSmart Server and it came with a trial copy of McAfee Total Protection. This is running on MS Windows Home Server.

The trial expired and I purchased a license for the Total Protection. I am learned that this is the Enterprise edition because the Home edition will not run on Windows Home Server.

The Home edition of Total Protection will allow you to protect 3 computers. Can you also protect multiple computers with the Enterprise edition? I want to protect the two laptops that connect to the home server. If so, how do I do this in a way that the control center does not flag me for using more licenses that I have purchased?

I had a lot of trouble getting the McAfee Home and Business help desks to understand all of this. If I said 'Windows Home Server', the business division wanted to send me to the home user division because of the word 'home' and the home user division wanted to send me to the business division because of the word 'server'.

McAffe needs a single help desk or sales point of contact that understands all of their products and can communicate intelligently about both sides.

Thank you for any advice that you can give,

Rob Jefferson

• 1. Re: Total Protection on HP MediaSmart Sever

rjefferson,

The software that you got with your Home Server is the McAfee Total Protection Service.

It is completely different from both the Home user's Total protection 2010 and the Enterprise product.

Please contact McAfeee at 1 800 338 8754. opt 2 and then Opt 4. Ask the Sales Rep to assist you with teh renewal of your McAfee Total protection Service.

Sameer

• 2. Re: Total Protection on HP MediaSmart Sever

I believe "Total Protection" is an entirely different product from "Total Protection Service".  (Lesson here for McAfee re product naming? )

There should be a McAfee Community for your product - you'll need to repost there.

• 3. Re: Total Protection on HP MediaSmart Sever

John Scott,

McAfee has 3 different Variaants of the Total protection..

Home User :- Total Protection 2010

Small Business :- Total Protection Service

Medium/Enterprise :- Total Protection for Endpoint.

These above mentioned Products are again differentiated on the basis of their features.

However, One update is that McAfee has done a lot of renaming for the Q2 and teh changes would be visible soon !

Sameer

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Total Protection on HP MediaSmart Sever

OK, thank you for the clarification. I am running "McAffee Total Protection Service". (BTW - poor marketing by McAfee)

I already have purchased a license and I am good for 2 years.

The main question now becomes:

The Home version of Total Protection will allow you to protect 3 computers. Can I also protect multiple computers my version? I want to protect the two laptops that connect to the home server. If so, how do I do this in a way that the control center does not flag me for using more licenses that I have purchased?

Please advise,

Rob Jefferson

• 5. Re: Total Protection on HP MediaSmart Sever

Just buy additional licences for the protection services you wish to use on your additional machines!   You can do this online; or, if you have specific requirements, no doubt McAfee Customer Services would advise.

Your post prompts a further question: I am also (unintentionally) using more licences than I have purchased, but until I resolve this situation, how long will McAfee allow me to continue to use capabilities I haven't paid for? Is this benevolent policy some amazing marketing ploy? I don't know many companies that provide their services or licences without charging for them!

• 6. Re: Total Protection on HP MediaSmart Sever

rjefferson :-

The licensing works differently for the Home Users and the Small Business products. It is true that you can protect upto 3 computers with the Home user's software. However, It would not run on any servers.

About the McAfee Total Protection Service, It has to be bought as per the number of machines that you have. It works on serrvers, workstations and laptops equally and thus, If you have 2 more laptops to be protected, you need to buy additional licenses.

JohnScott ;-

As this is a SaaS module, McAfee has all the information about all possible breaches of compliance that is taking place. The only reason you are still getting the updates is because, time and again McAfee keeps reminding you about the license over use and trusts that you as a loyal customer would go ahead and make sure that you are not being non compliant. Also. sometimes, The customers do not delete the computers from the Security Centres which have had the software removed from them. That also results in additional licenses being showed up as in use.

Please remember that all the machines reach out to McAfee servers and it is not hidden to McAfee as to how many computers the customer is using the software on and how much he has already paid.

Sameer

Please mark the answer as helpful or correct if it was useful so that others can use it as a ready reference.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Total Protection on HP MediaSmart Sever

sameer,

Thank you for your answers. This forum is very helpful. The help via the McAffee phone lines has a lot to be desired. The people do not take the time to truly listen and understand your isuses. They are too eager to get through scripted responses and close the issue or get of the call with some pat answer. That should be taken as constructive criticism for McAffee to improve customer support.

It seems that I would be better off, money wise, to purchase 'Home User:- Total Protection 2010' and use the 3 machine license to proctect my two laptops. That would be cheaper that purchasing 2 more licenses for 'Total Proctection Service' that is running on my server.

My biggest regret is that I already have one of those laptops covered my a McAfee product until November.

Thank you,

Rob Jefferson

• 8. Re: Total Protection on HP MediaSmart Sever

Sameer,

Thanks for your reply.

I've opened a new question entitled "What is 'Web Filtering', and what is its relationship to 'Safe Surfing'?", which explains why we are appearing to use more licences for one component of TPS than we have purchased.

I'd appreciate you looking at that thread.

Thanks,

John