4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2010 8:18 AM by jaco

Internet drops when idle after upgrade to Internet Security 2010

My internet keeps dropping when it has been idle for a few minutes. I had no problems at all until 9 days ago when I downloaded Internet Security 2010 to replace my 2009 Internet Security. Immediately after that I started to have problems. When the internet is dropped here my other computer on the wireless network still has internet. I can bring it back by rebooting, or turning off the router, or doing Windows Repair – reset the network adapter. It does not drop when I use the internet, only when I have left it idle for a while.

I have chatted several times about this, twice to a Level 2 technician. They can't seem to help.

Things they have tried: Resetting my McAfee firewall setting to defaults. Setting my router firewall to low - accept inbound and outbound. (When this made no difference I set it back to Medium). Uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee. QuickClean of everything including the registry. Changing McAfee firewall settings away from the default. (Security was changed to Full access and they opened another port).

I am running Vista and have a (Verizon FIOS) router that is wired to this computer and wireless to my other computer. I would be happy to go back to Internet Security 2009 but they say that is not possible. Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Internet drops when idle after upgrade to Internet Security 2010

To clarify, the problem happens when my computer wakes up from sleep - at that point the network adapter needs to be reset. I tried uninstalling McAfee 2010 and the problen went away. I have reinstalled, and have the problem again.

• 2. Re: Internet drops when idle after upgrade to Internet Security 2010

I appear to be having this SAME problem. (Windows Vista)

Ever since the most recent McAfee update, whenever my desktop resumes from "SLEEP", I have absolutely no connectivity to the network... no networked printer and (obviously) no internet.  To correct the problem I have been initiating a reboot.  I do not reset my router as I have a house full of people and "toys" that could be using the internet at any time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Message was edited by: john2chee on 4/30/10 8:40:59 AM CDT
            • 3. Re: Internet drops when idle after upgrade to Internet Security 2010

My problem is solved! First I tried to update the Network Adapters NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps ethernet driver in Device Manager, and got the message that Windows says I have already got the latest driver (67.8.9.0 of 8/1/08). Then I looked on my computer manufacturer's website (emachines) for an updated ethernet driver and found one that seemed to have a later date but an earlier version number (67.8.0 of 9/9/09). I did internet chat with the emachines people and they could not answer my question about whether it was a newer driver or not. Actually they did not seem to even understand the question. So I downloaded it and installed it and after checking Device manager again it showed up as 67.8.0.0 of 3/25/08 - so it was an older driver - but it solved the problem!! I have not noticed any new problems.

It would be nice though if McAfee fixed Internet Security 2010 so that it did not do this anymore. Any comments from McAfee people?

• 4. Re: Internet drops when idle after upgrade to Internet Security 2010

Have you tried resetting the network adapter as a quicker method than a reboot? I right click on my internet icon which is at the bottom right, choose Diagnose and Repair, and then choose Reset the Network adapter. And hope my driver info is helpful.