1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2010 11:04 PM by Pritish

Why are automatic updates killing the performance of laptops?

I have TPS installed (mostly) ok on a range of PCs, from servers to laptops, but I'm experiencing serious problems with automatic updates, especially on laptops.

The problem is that at some point during an automatic update, the performance of other applications running concurrently on laptops is frequently degraded to such an extent that the laptop becomes effectively unusable.  (I would guess that this same aberrant behaviour occurs on all our PCs, but on the faster machines it is usually much less problematic.)

If it's important to continue productive work on the laptop, then the only "solution" I've found is to halt the automatic update, e.g. by killing the relevant processes using Windows Task Manager.  This unfortunately tends to leave TPS rather "confused" .

So, how about some work-arounds, and some real solutions:-

Q1: Is there a recommended clean way of terminating an automatic update?

Q2: Is there any way of switching automatic updates off completely, instead relying on the diligence of the user to initiate manual updates regularly at times convenient to him?

[If not, when can we expect this feature?]

Q3: If automatic updates can't be switched off completely [in the current version], is there any way of specifying times when they should be performed, e.g. at 03:00 each day, so that the machine is only clobbered at times when it usually won't be doing anything else? (And so that the user isn't repeatedly complaining that since we've installed TPS, he/she can't get any work done! )

[If not, when can we expect this feature?]

Q4: What is causing this unsociable behaviour of automatic updates in the first place, and is anybody going to fix it? (I'm assuming here that we're not the only people experiencing this problem, and that it's a real issue to do with the current implementation of TPS - can anyone else confirm that they're experiencing this same problem?)

[I would hazard a guess that either (a) there's something seriously wrong with some components of the automatic update programming, or (b) it's an easily fixable misfeature such as having some TPS process priorities set at too high a value, and thereby stealing resources from user-interfacing applications.]

• 1. Re: Why are automatic updates killing the performance of laptops?

JohnScott,

Q1: Is there a recommended clean way of terminating an automatic update?

Ans :- I would not do that. Instead of killig an update process and risking corrupting the files, I would simply select am interval best suited to me so that I can let the updates happen peacefully. Please remember as thhis is a SaaS module, The update process not only updates the latest patces and DAT files but also posts the statistics to your Management portal so that you have a fair idea as to what is going on in yoru environment.

Q2: Is there any way of switching automatic updates off completely,  instead relying on the diligence of the user to initiate manual updates  regularly at times convenient to him?

[If not, when can we expect  this feature?]

Ans :- Again, Not a good idea. But yes, you can assisgn the policy and set the updates to happen once in 24 hours and if for whatever rerason that update does not take place then th user can manually update the software.

Q3: If  automatic updates can't be switched off completely [in the current  version], is there any way of specifying times when they should be  performed, e.g. at 03:00 each day, so that the machine is only clobbered  at times when it usually won't be doing anything else? (And so that the  user isn't repeatedly complaining that since we've installed TPS,  he/she can't get any work done! )

[If not, when can we expect this  feature?]

Ans :- Yes, there is a way where you can set the updates to happen at  a particular interval. you can not set the time however as I mentioned earlier, You can set the updates to happen either every 4 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours or 24 hours. This can be done under the Client Settings of the Policy page and on the right hand side, You will see the Update Settings. Just chose the right interval and save it.

Sameer

Please mark the answer as helpful or correct if it is useful so that others can use it as a ready reference.

on 4/21/10 7:58:23 AM CDT
          • 2. Re: Why are automatic updates killing the performance of laptops?

Thank you for your reply, Sameer.

However, your suggestion of specifying the interval between updates, while giving us some weak degree of control, does not (unfortunately) enable us to definitively control when the automatic updates are initiated and when they are not; but being able to have that high degree of control is the absolute requirement here; so, unless I'm missing something , your suggestion is definitely not a work-around for the problems we're experiencing.

What I'm asking for is advice re some (presumably undocumented) control that I hope is already part of TPS, of which we can avail ourselves, so that we can guarantee that automatic updates will not be initiated at times when we expect the laptops to be being actively used by their users, i.e. the controls I suggested in my original questions Q2 and Q3, or at least the emergency measure suggested in Q1.

There is only one documented way I can see of achieving this at the moment, which is to uninstall TPS entirely from the affected machines, and I am seriously considering taking that step, because we have had occaions when users have needed their laptops urgently and have been left struggling with a completely unusable machine!  Unless we can find a better resolution almost immediately, we may have to take the calculated risk of suffering virus infections, etc., because having these machines actually become completely unusable at seemingly random times, is worse than hypothetical risk of an effective virus infection.  But I do hope it won't come to that!

Please advise.

Regards,

John

• 3. Re: Why are automatic updates killing the performance of laptops?

John Scott,

I completely understand that you are having atough time with the whole update thing ending up possessing your machines. Which is quite unfortunate to know.

I am still on the look out for something which may be able to help you achive what you desire. But as of now, If I were you, I would have the weak control and schedule the updates after 12/24 hours instead of letting it affect me.

Also, Please do not uninstall the solution. Please try and edit/creat your policies and assign, Normal priority to McAfee ToPS if it is set to High..

Thank you

Sameer

• 4. Re: Why are automatic updates killing the performance of laptops?

As a network admin who has been using TOPS for several years now in our 50+ node office, I would completely agree with John Scott here.  Updates on our PCs completely destroys the performance of the systems and inevitably the updates start an inopportune times.  Having more granular control of the update time (specifically, not via intervals) would help tremendously here.  If it wasn't for the other great features of the TOPS "package", this would be a deal breaker for me.  This REALLY needs to be addressed by McAfee.

• 5. Re: Why are automatic updates killing the performance of laptops?

Same results here.  It's really hard to accept that McAfree just downloading some data files and then loading signatures from them brings an otherwise well-performing computer to its knees!

• 6. Re: Why are automatic updates killing the performance of laptops?
                    Havoc-Dadelous

I have the same problem with a fairly powerfull quad core desk top and a dual core laptop, once the updater starts I basically have to wait. I know this is an old thread but have mcafee done anything?

• 7. Re: Why are automatic updates killing the performance of laptops?
                      rengaraj

Hi,

I have read your post.

Please be informed that McAfee has now released the McAfee SaaS Endpoint Protection Software v5.2 which is a direct upgrade from the McAfee v5.0. This new version is very light at its core and does not take up much of CPU usage and definitely does not slow down the computer when it downloads the latest DAT updates.

Please check the McAfee version that is running on your computer. If you have the v5.0 of the McAfee software, please upgrade to the latest v5.2. This will completely resolve the issue that you are facing.

Thank you.

Regards.

• 8. Re: Why are automatic updates killing the performance of laptops?

So is this 5.2 upgrade not an automtic action via the normal client upgrade process?  If not, could you please provide detail (or links) on how the 5.2 upgrade process is to be conducted?

All of my client systems have version 5.0.0 Patch 6 on them, so I am assuming this is not an automatic process.

Thanks.

Message was edited by: JD-COS on 11/12/10 4:20:44 PM CST
                        • 9. Re: Why are automatic updates killing the performance of laptops?
                          rengaraj

Hi,

The v5.2 upgrade is being pushed to all the customers region wise. When the upgrade is ready for you, you shall get an alert on your online security center console stating the day and the date when the upgrade will be sent to your computer. If you want the upgrade to happen automatically, then you need to wait for the alert and the update.

If you want the upgrade to happen immediately then you can uninstall and reinstall the McAfee software. The new install will be the v5.2 of the McAfee SaaS Endpoint Protection software.

Thank you.

Regards.

1 2 Previous Next