2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2010 5:13 AM by SamSwift

XP intenert security 2010 infected virus

Got a message that Internet Explorer is infected with Trojan-BNK.Win.32.Keylogger.gen and

ask to click yes to activate XP Internet Security or No, Continue unporected Dangerous.

I just renew my MCafee Total Protection.  How can I remove this infection. It won't let me go to the internet unless I click to one of the selection.

I have Window XP. I just renewed Mcafee Total Protection.  Please assist.

• 1. Re: XP intenert security 2010 infected virus
          Peter M

Moved to the correct area for quicker attention.

• 2. Re: XP intenert security 2010 infected virus
            SamSwift

Hi,

As you have access to another machine are you able to download our free stinger tool onto a USB key or similar?

If so please follow this document where possible.

Also, you might want to check the host file to see if it's been modified  via the typical location of C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ then file  'hosts'.  Typically malware will try to block users from accessing  certain sites by changing this host file to block access.

Edit the  "hosts" file with the Notepad application to see if there are any  additional entries beyond the standard template like below:

#  Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
            #
            # This is a sample HOSTS  file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
            #
            # This file contains  the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
            # entry should be  kept on an individual line. The IP address should
            # be placed in the  first column followed by the corresponding host name.
            # The IP  address and the host name should be separated by at least one
            #  space.
            #
            # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted  on individual
            # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#'  symbol.
            #
            # For example:
            #
            #      102.54.94.97      rhino.acme.com          # source server
            #       38.25.63.10      x.acme.com              # x client host

Hope this helps,

Sam