5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2010 3:48 PM by Peter M

How do I run a manual scan?

Here is my situation: Shortly after my kids turn on their computers, McAfee checks for updates (and does it every four hours according to the documentation that I have read). That slows it down a lot and the kids complain. I would like to disable this update and then cause it to update when I feel that the computer won't be impacted by this process.

Basically, the same thing about when McAfee is scheduled to run a full scan. I can't predict when the computer will be on or off, so the internal scheduling of the full scan at 2:00 am on Sunday (or something similar) is meaningless.

In essence, what I am trying to do is replace the idea of them turning their computer off when they are done with a process that is started when they logoff. That process would check for updates and apply them, as well as start a scan, do backups, and whatever else. When all of that work is done, then it would shut the computer off.

What I need are "DOS" batch commands to 1) invoke the function of getting the updates (program or signature), and 2) Run a full scan on the local computer (no network drives).  I am running on XP/Pro.

My handle here is my email address on hotmail if anyone wants to reach me directly.

• 1. Re: How do I run a manual scan?
          Peter M

Moved this provisionally to SecurityCenter 10 -2010 as the most likely spot for your version of the software.  As you don't state what version it is perhaps you could post that information

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

If it's the new interface which has a shield-shaped icon click Navigation at top right and then About at the left.

If it's the old interface which has a square taskbar icon click About in the lower right-hand corner.

Post the information about SecurityCenter and VirusScan/Anti-Virus versions please.

You can't run the tasks from any command line or Task Manager.

You can disable the automatic update or tell it to warn you first and also disable the automatic scan.

However SecurityCenter will still poll every 4 hours regardless of any settings.  It just wont download anything if updates are set not to.

I'll explain that when I know which version you have or else this post would go on for days.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 16/04/10 2:59:06 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: How do I run a manual scan?

Sorry, in my haste I forgot to mention that: Security Center version 9.15, Virus Scan version 13.15

I need to be able to invoke a scan of all local files whenever I choose to do it, programmatically, not by going into the Security Center. That is the only way that I can guarantee that the scan is done when the computer is logged off (but not shut down) and not impact the person using the computer. When all work that I have to do on the computer is completed, then it shuts down. I have this programmed for Windows Defender, Defrags and backups. I would like to complete the task by getting the update and batch scan into there.

• 3. Re: How do I run a manual scan?
              Peter M

dixr wrote:

Sorry, in my haste I forgot to mention that: Security Center version 9.15, Virus Scan version 13.15

I need to be able to invoke a scan of all local files whenever I choose to do it, programmatically, not by going into the Security Center. That is the only way that I can guarantee that the scan is done when the computer is logged off (but not shut down) and not impact the person using the computer. When all work that I have to do on the computer is completed, then it shuts down. I have this programmed for Windows Defender, Defrags and backups. I would like to complete the task by getting the update and batch scan into there.

Well as far as we have been told it isn't possible to do that with the consumer product, any version.   You can alter the scanning schedule or turn it off and you can also alter the way updates are handled but not have any of those happen in such a manner.

You could try asking Technical Support Chat about it, see Useful Links at the top of the page.

I moved thnis to SecurityCenter 9 - 2009.  

• 4. Re: How do I run a manual scan?
                Peter M

I suppose I should explain how to alter settings and as I have now been upgraded to the 2010 product, which you will be soon enough, I have to go from memory so please bear with me.

Double click the icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)

Click Configure (left)

Click (I think) SecurityCenter (top left - 1st item)

Click Advanced (right)

Click the menus on the left for various settings including updates.

For the scan go as far as Configure above

Click Computer and Files (top left)

Click Advanced (right)

Click Scheduled Scan (left)

Settings may then be altered.

I have added your question to the agenda for our weekly conference call with McAfee which occurs on Monday afternoon at 4pm Eastern time.

One never knows, someone may have discovered a way of doing what you are seeking.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/04/10 9:15:49 EDT AM
                • 5. Re: How do I run a manual scan?
                  Peter M

From our conference call, where I brought this up, I was told that the home product checks for updates every 4 hours, this can't be stopped or altered so any commands or scripts for this function would only gum up the works.

It should be possible to invoke a scan using Windows Task Manager but the scan can be scheduled or even turned off altogether as I described previously within the SecurityCenter anyway, so there isn't much point.