Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
5462 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2010 9:39 PM by michaelroder RSS
dixr Newcomer 7 posts since
Apr 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 14, 2010 11:16 AM

How do I run manual updates?

Here is my situation: Shortly after my kids turn on their computers, McAfee checks for updates (and does it every four hours according to the documentation that I have read). That slows it down a lot and the kids complain. I would like to disable this update and then cause it to update when I feel that the computer won't be impacted by this process. 

Basically, the same thing about when McAfee is scheduled to run a full scan. I can't predict when the computer will be on or off, so the internal scheduling of the full scan at 2:00 am on Sunday (or something similar) is meaningless.

In essence, what I am trying to do is replace the idea of them turning their computer off when they are done with a process that is started when they logoff. That process would check for updates and apply them, as well as start a scan, do backups, and whatever else. When all of that work is done, then it would shut the computer off.

What I need are "DOS" batch commands to 1) invoke the function of getting the updates (program or signature), and 2) Run a full scan on the local computer (no network drives).  I am running on XP/Pro.

My handle here is my email address on hotmail if anyone wants to reach me directly.

• Dinz Master 3,223 posts since
    Oct 13, 2009
    1. May 4, 2010 11:11 AM (in response to dixr)
    Re: How do I run manual updates?

Hi dixr,

As we are aware that automatic upates delivers the latest protection against new threats, plus feature enhancements that keep your software running smoothly all the time, I would recommend scheduling the update options :

For this could you please let me know the version of McAfee installed in the computer as the navigation through mcafee is different with both versions. Open security center and let me know whether it says Am I protected YES or Your computer is secure . so as I could provide you with the concerned navigation.

Regards,
    Dinesh K
    McAfee Online Community Moderator

Dinesh
    Ex Community Admin
  • michaelroder Newcomer 5 posts since
    Jul 9, 2010
    3. Jul 9, 2010 9:39 PM (in response to dixr)
    Re: How do I run manual updates?

Isn't it amazing how you can get an answer to an un-asked question?

This is an excellent question.  I did not realize that this option had disappeared. The closest I could find with McAfee Internet Secuirty 2009 was to "Notify me when update is available."

I have set up many computers with a scheduled night to update everything, backup, and preform mainteance such as defrag--while the user is sleeping. This does a lot ot speed up a computer when doing work.  The command line options seem to be disappearing. However, some programs do have a update command tucked away, but many requre user intervention to complete.

If you find an answer, pleas post it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points