Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
14662 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2010 11:25 PM by BulletInASandstorm RSS
Newcomer 1 posts since
Apr 14, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 14, 2010 1:56 AM

Cannot Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Programs; SecurityCenter cannot be opened

I actually just noticed this problem lately. I needed to go into SecurityCenter to enable access for a program through the firewall and I found that it wouldn't open. I tried to uninstall the program but running the uninstaller pops up a blank window. Is their a way to remove all McAfee related products from my computer? Thanks!

• rakesh.p Apprentice 74 posts since
    Nov 11, 2008

Hi Zyke,

Yes you certainly can remove McAfee products from your computer by downloading MCPR.exe tool from below mentioned link & run it on your PC, after which re-boot your PC to finish removing McAfee products.

Download MCPR.exe tool from : http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Regards,

Rakesh P

McAfee Technical Support

Rakesh P

McAfee

• dlreich Newcomer 3 posts since
    Apr 28, 2010

When I run mcpr.exe it does not complete.  A window labeled McAfee Cleanup is on the screen with the message "Preparing to remove products" but there is no progress on the progress bar.  Help!!

David

Apr 28, 2010

Here's the log of my several attempts to run mcpr.exe.  Note the "internal error" message in the log.  What's that?

David

Message was edited by: dlreich on 4/28/10 8:38:38 AM CDT
    Attachments:
  • Dinz Master 3,223 posts since
    Oct 13, 2009

Hi David,

Reviewing your log here , In the meantime could you please confirm  whether we use the enterprise or the Home version of McAfee ?

Also let me know what is the perating system of the computer ?

How is the computer connected to internet ? (cable/wireless)

Is you windows uptodate ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

Dinesh
    Ex Community Admin
    Apr 28, 2010

I purchased an Acer Aspire One that had, I presume, a home version (McAfee Internet security Suite with SiteAdviser 2008) installed with a 60 day trial period.  Since I already had another anti-virus product, I used Add/Install programs to uninstall the McAfee software.  The other AV product would not install because it said that the McAfee product was still installed .  I then ran VSCleanupTool, which was insufficient so I also tried to run mrcp.  The netbook is running XP SP3, it has a wireless conection to he Internet and all Windows updates have been installed.

There do not seem to be any McAfee files remaining on the system but there are several McAfee entries in the registry (seen by using regedit and searching for "mcafee") still remaining.

David

Message was edited by: dlreich on 4/28/10 9:42:31 AM CDT
  • lokkje Newcomer 1 posts since
    May 10, 2010

Hi.

I have exactly the same issue with an Acer Aspire netbook. Cannot uninstall McAfee - MCPR freezes on "Preparing to remove products". I work in IT retail and am fast losing faith with McAfee after a less than optimum discussion with their helpdesk.

Hope to have an answer soon please.

• BulletInASandstorm Newcomer 1 posts since
    Jul 21, 2010

I went through the trouble of joining this forum simply so I can express my absolute and utter contempt for McAfee.  McAfee -- you were beautiful once.  What happened?

I've been happy with Kaspersky for over a year now.  I remove McAfee from every Dell computer I get.

But then McAfee blindsides me by joining forces with Adobe and has the McAfee installation installed as part of the Adobe Flash update.  Shame on both Adobe and McAfee!  Once they were "good citizens" and have since stooped to the lowest of tactics.

Not only does McAfee sneak its way onto my machine but it does so in such a way it is practically impossible to remove it!  I've tried the removal tool.  I've disabled the UAC.  It looks like I'm going to have to roll back to a restore point.

McAfee.  Do you really think this is the way to get new customers or impress anyone?  I can promise you that your products will NEVER be purchased or voluntarily installed on any of my personal machines.  I will also ensure that nothing of yours gets installed on any project I have oversight of at work (large defense contractor -- 5,000 at my site alone) and I will spread the word.

I suggest that you get a fix for this out and stop with the cheap tactics.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points