7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2010 3:30 PM by jjs

Crashed Xtray,  missing tray icon

zoli62

Today when i have turned on my computer (Hp 3010 Microtower with Windows 7 Professional) i have noticed that Mc Afee Total Protection Xtray was stopped, systray icon was unvisible. I have reinstalled  the program, but  my question is: how does it happened?

• 1. Re: Crashed Xtray,  missing tray icon

zoli62,

The issue might have happened as a result of a bad/incomplete installation. Also, In the Policies page, You can decide whether you want the Tray icon to be displayed or not.

Thank you

Sameer

• 2. Re: Crashed Xtray,  missing tray icon
            zoli62

Sameer

The systray application worked good over two month after the very first installation .Thence the default McAfee policy was active.

• 3. Re: Crashed Xtray,  missing tray icon
              txpece

I've got the smae problem.  "Xtray application has stopped working".

• 4. Re: Crashed Xtray,  missing tray icon

Now I have the same problem too - the tray icon is no longer showing.  The TPS configuration has not been changed, and it had been working ok.

Now a further question: how do I initiate a manual update if the tray icon isn't showing? Is there another way of initiating an update?

• 5. Re: Crashed Xtray,  missing tray icon
                  zoli62

I have coommunicated with the Gold Support. the solution:

The issue that you are acing is due to the patch 005 released by McAfee. This issue will occyr if the patch is not installed properly.

To resolve the issue that you are facing you need to completely uninstall the McAfee software from the computer and then install the software again from your online security center. Please follow the steps below to do so

1. Open the page www.mcafeeasap.com, click on login on the top right and sign in with your login details
                  2. Click on the tab utilities on the top and select the 4th option Uninstall components left from a previous installation in that select MVSUninst and download and save it to the desktop and run this exe to uninstall.
                  3. Delete all the entries from start->Run->temp and then select all the files and folder under that and delete. (Ignore the files that you are not able to delete)
                  4. Delete all the entries from start->Run->%temp% and then select all the files and folder under that and delete. (Ignore the files that you are not able to delete)
                  5. Delete all the entries from start->Run->prefetch and then select all the files and folder under that and delete. (Ignore the files that you are not able to delete)
                  6. Go to start->Run->regedit and the registry window will open in that click on file->export and save it to the desktop.
                  7. Then you will see HKEY-LOCALMACHINE ->software->delete McAfee
                  8. Then you will see HKEY-CURRENT USER ->software->delete McAfee
                  9. Reboot the computer.

After you have done all the above steps, please proceed with the below steps for the installation.

1. Log in to the online security center
                  2. Click on computers on the top and then select all
                  3. Select the computer in which you are about to reinstall and delete it from the list
                  4. Select Dashboard tab on the top
                  5. Click on install protection
                  6. Select install protection onto new computers (not yet managed by SecurityCenter)
                  7. Download and save the Topsbdm file to your desktop
                  8. Run the file to install the product.
                  9. After you have installed, restart the computer and run a manual update

• 6. Re: Crashed Xtray,  missing tray icon

Thanks zoli62! I had the same problem but I followed these steps and now it's working fine.

• 7. Re: Crashed Xtray,  missing tray icon

Yes, thanks zoli62, I've followed those instructions, and all seems well now.