4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2010 12:06 PM by rcambrid RSS

How to unistall McAfee Virus Scan for Mac - password?

Hi,

I have recently downloaded the free McAfee VirusScan for Mac version 8.6.1. My computer is now running very slowly and I can't seem to uninstall it. I have tried using the 'terminal' application, but each time I try to uninstall, I get asked for a password - problem is I'm not sure what password is required as thereare no passwords set up on my computer.

Is there any way to uinistall this program, or can anyone advise on what this password is? My computer is really slow and it's killing me. Please help!

• 1. Re: How to unistall McAfee Virus Scan for Mac - password?
          Ex_Brit

Moved provisionally to VirusScan Other for better attention...Moderator

• 2. Re: How to unistall McAfee Virus Scan for Mac - password?
            rcambrid

Hiya,

The password being requested is the Administrators password (or your password if your account is set as an Administrator account).

This password is used when certain, important actions need to be performed. For example, when you installed VirusScan for Mac, were you prompted for a password then? This is the password you need to use when prompted during the removal.

NOTE: With Mac OS, you can set up an Automatic login which logs you into the Mac whenever you boot up without prompting you for a password - maybe this is why you believe you have no passwords set?

Also, out of interest, what happens if you simply press ENTER when prompted for the password?

Lastly, the following KnowledgeBase article contains manual removal steps for VirusScan 8.6.x and so may be useful: KB66764 - VirusScan for Mac uninstall script does not always remove all files

Hope this helps,

Rod.

• 3. Re: How to unistall McAfee Virus Scan for Mac - password?

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the reply. I did have automatic login and no password set as Admin for my Mac. I entually figured it out. You will need to set up an Admin password first for your computer and then use it in the Terminal software to unistall McAfee, it doesn't accept that you have no password setup.

If you simply just hit return in Terminal, it will give you three attempts before logging you out and you will need to start over.

Thanks again for your help!

D

• 4. Re: How to unistall McAfee Virus Scan for Mac - password?
                rcambrid

Glad you're all sorted!

Best regards,

Rod.