8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2010 5:08 PM by Peacekeeper

Can not activate Anitvirus Plus 2010

I cannot activate Mcafee Antivirus Plus 2010.

I have used email and talked with three people on the phone and I am still not activated.

This is a retail box item from Buy.com.

I followed the recommended way to install "from the web".

At the beginning of the install it said it could not -try again. I clicked on "try again" and it installed from the disc instead of the web.

I had to enter the product key which I did. At some point ,I don't remember when,it said i will recieve an email.I never got the email.Was this to complete the activation?

It started to download updates by itself.I am on dialup so I knew that this was going to take a long time.The antivirus component kept resetting back to zero percent during the download. The highest percentage never got above 19 percent.

After three or four days of this I could not boot into Windows XP. I restored my hard drive from a backup.

I installed again from the web as recommended and this time it did install from the web WHICH TOOK 8 HOURS!!

I entered the key numbers then was asked for my email and password ,I entered these and got >" The product key you entered is already regestered to an existing account"

My account shows this >  Subscription status: Active --  Expiration Date 3/24/2011 along with the key numbers.

I then tried email support but that did not help. Then someone called me to try to clear this up but that did not help either.

I called for more help and was told to run the preinstall tool and that would allow me to activate. After I did that I got the message "Activation Unsuccessful".

I called again and after talking for a few minutes I was told that my key numbers do not exist.

My key numbers are present in my account.

I need help to activate.The Navigation Center is greyed out now and I can't accesss any options of Antivirus Plus.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Can not activate Anitvirus Plus 2010
          Dinz

Hi Eraser,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to activate the programs. Could you please confirm whether we used any mcafee programs in this computer prior installing the new program ?
          Also let me know the date of activation of the new programs .

Thanks,
          Dinesh K

• 2. Re: Can not activate Anitvirus Plus 2010

I had Mcafee VirusScan Plus 2009.

I did not uninstall it before I installed I installed the new antivirus.

The instructions said if upgrading from a previous version of Mcafee to simply begin installation.

I have no date of activation because I cannot activate.

If you are asking when I installed it I don't remember the exact date but the first time I tried to install was about March 21.

The second install after I restored my hard drive would have been a day or so later.

• 3. Re: Can not activate Anitvirus Plus 2010
              Dinz

Hello,

Run the removal tool from this link and restart the computer.
              Reinstall the programs from your account page in
              http://us.mcafee.com and you should be able to download your now programs as I could see that they are registered.

Regards,
              Dinesh K

• 4. Re: Can not activate Anitvirus Plus 2010

I will give it a try. I hope I don't have any problems downloading as I did before.

• 5. Re: Can not activate Anitvirus Plus 2010

I did as you suggested .I ran the removal tool and downloaded my program.

The download took almost 9 hours with 2 isp disconnects. My isp disconnects after 4 hours of continous use.

After the download finished nothing happened.The computer just sat there doing nothing.

Mcafee needs to include a resume function in their "download manager" and updates for people that use dialup.

The file is just too large.

What could have happened?

• 6. Re: Can not activate Anitvirus Plus 2010
                    pepi1953

McAfee Antivirus Plus 2010 (3 User Licence Packs) will not activate...

I have 6 computers

3 Vista 64 bits
                    2 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
                    1 Windows 7 Pro Edition 64 bit

I Purchased two - 3 User Licence Packs Antivirus Plus 2010 three days ago

And I tell you... It should not be this complicated to register (Activate) this product...

I am a computer Professional with 35 years of experience.This does not make any sense!!!

After trying to install, uninstall this product 4 times and rebooting my computer as many times, I
                    could still not get this product to activate...

So I ran McAfee Virtual Technician Program and it found no error. So I engaged the chat mode and finally
                    someone competent took control of my PC remotely and ran a (Mcafee) utility program to remove  the McAfee installation or better clean
                    the registery and resetted my Internet Explorer to default settings. During all this time the Tekkie stayed connected to
                    my pc remotely. Computer was rebooted, Antivirus Plus was reinstalled and only then was I able to activate
                    my Product key...

so I said ok... I am all set for the activation of this pack now... how about my second 3 user pack...

After installing the next two licences which went smoothly and then approached my second installation and
                    my god!!! the same dam thing but this time I did not find any tekkie competent online to help me out..

I still have 3 computers waiting to be activated. I spent 8 hours today on this and no answer in sight

• 7. Re: Can not activate Anitvirus Plus 2010
                      k3tg

I understand your frustration but you will probably need to contact Chat again and if you don't feel as though the agent is knowledgable enough, end the chat with him and try again and hopefully another agent can rectify the problem for you. Another suggestion is to ask that your case be escalated to the next tier higher of support and get a case number to post here on the forum to get the attention of McAfee personell. This is of course the weekend so they may not see this till Monday but chat is available 24/7

• 8. Re: Can not activate Anitvirus Plus 2010
                        Peacekeeper

You could also try to uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot the machine.  Then run the MCPR removal tool found under Useful Links to remove any remnants  of the software that may have become corrupted and reboot again. This is what the chat tech used.

Download  and install the McAfee preinstall tool http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.e xe This resets IE to default and does a few other things
                        Upon  completion of the preinstall login to your online McAfee account and download  and install your software or run your cd .