3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2010 10:46 AM by rackroyd

Fallback for Source Repository - how does it work?

kjhurni

EPO 4.5, has two Source repository set for McAfee.  One is HTTP and the other is FTP

The question I Have is, what determines if it should "fallback"?

For example, I thought I had HTTP set as first, and fallback enabled for FTP

When it went to pull from McAfee, it did contact the server, but failed to download one of the .DAT files

It did NOT "failover" to try the FTP download (I did that manually and it worked from the FTP server)

So does it only fallback if it cannot reach the first source at all?  As opposed to "hey I failed to download everything, so let me try the other source?)

• 1. Re: Fallback for Source Repository - how does it work?
          rackroyd

Hi,

As you suspect, fallback only applies if the primary source is not available at all. If it get part-way through a pull task and then fails the whole pull task is deemed as failed and ePO keeps everything at the previous version to maintain data integrity in the repository.

You would need to look to the server logs for the possible causes of the failure over http.

Rgds,

Rob.

• 2. Re: Fallback for Source Repository - how does it work?
            kjhurni

Thank you for the help.

The logs don't give a good picture of what happened other than couldn't find a particular file.  Not sure if it's the Akamai load balancing that McAfee uses where it's hitting a server that hasn't gotten all the updates yet or not.

I'll have to submit an FMR then for the fallback feature as I think that would be better if it worked that way.  Or at the very least, some sort of automated retry if it failed or something.

• 3. Re: Fallback for Source Repository - how does it work?
              rackroyd

No problem,

ePO already does automated retries in the event of failure, in your case the error must have been more persistent.

A source server that is in the process of updating should not be available to customers either.

Please submit an FMR about using the fallback in the way described though, it sounds like a good idea.

Rgds,

Rob.