Should work fine, error messages might be helpful...
Determine if this is a problem with the ePO task itself or the HIP installer. Look at the McAfeeHip7_Install.log and see if there's an error or timeout in there. The log is in C:\WINDOWS\. If there is not log there at all, it could be a MA issue. Enable log level 8. Delete any existing HIP deployment task for the client your pushing to. Create a new task to deploy HIP. Reproduce and then review all the agent logs.
Alternatively, if the HIP install log is not present, you could try installing locally to make sure there is no other strange problem with the Windows installer failing early, before a HIP install logs even strats to be written.
I am rerunning the installation manually from the exe pulled down by the McAfee Agent. I reset the setup.ini so that it would not be silent. And I renamed the McAfeeHip7_Install.log so that it would generate a clean one, with only this installation information included. I can tell you there is a "generic" Windows Installer 1603 error message in the old log. Those generally do not tell much.
I will post log data once this finishes. What i have noticed in past testing is that it seems to indicate anothe rupdate or installation of HIPs has not completed.
And I have looked at the McAfee KB without any success. I always check there first. I have been a McAfee zealot for over 10 years and have used ePO since the first release....
The install log doesn't give me much to go on...1603: Fatal Error During Installation.
Check if this is a one off or if it is reproducible on other machines.
I would refer to the manual uninstall doc, KB51699 and ensure HIP is completely removed.
Then make sure your Windows installer is up to date.
After a reboot, run the instagain locally without editing the default setup.ini.
If it fails again, run the HIP MER tool and open a support case.
Yeah. No kidding. I can tell you this, I started with a clean machine. I installed HIPs 7.0 with Patch 6 from ePO onto the machine before trying to upgrade to patch 7. I suspect it is something with the patch install itself, like maybe it was corrupted when downloading or something.
Thanks for you help! I was really just trying to see if this was a one off, just me experience, or others were seeing the issue as well.