5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 3:52 AM by rhythm_methods

Windows Live Mail / Outlook 2010

Does VSE8.7 scan windows live mail?

I can't see anything to show that it is doing so, but just thought I would ask anyway?

Also, the mailscan plugin doesn't seem to load for me when using the outlook 2010 beta.

Anyone else been messing with this stuff?

• 1. Re: Windows Live Mail

Hi,

I still have not been able to figure out if VirusScan can scan emails from windows live mail.

Does anybody know? (If so, don't be shy please)

I found that in live messenger there is an option to choose which virus scanner you can use to scan files sent through messenger.

So I have simply browsed and selected scan64.exe (should you need any additonal arguments on that command?)

That is something probably that could be sent to users with a registry change.

But for windows live mail I am drawing a complete blank, which I am surprised at.

At the momment, from what I can see, it looks like if our users simply install windows live mail then they are getting emails to the PC which will not be scanned at all.

I am looking to be able to allow livemail to be on the PCs, but to make sure that VSE is scanning them......it is proving hard for me to work out.

I am assuming at the momment that McAfee simply can't scan things from windows live mail, until I can find out the opposite.

edit : If that is the case, that McAfee can't scan windows live mail, that is a big minus for the product as it is not something new, so I hope it can and it's just that I can't work it out.

Message was edited by: rhythm_methods on 4/14/10 12:54:34 AM CDT
          • 2. Re: Windows Live Mail

I don't believe WLM is protected... but that doesn't mean your users aren't protected. I can't test as all of my ISP type accounts have forms of AV protection, so any test I do won't work.

If they try to save a file from WLM, it will trigger the OAS if it's a known threat. Same deal if double clicking an attachment.

It won't stop them from forwarding a virus laden email (Or at least I don't think it will) though.

• 3. Re: Windows Live Mail

Thanks for the reply Mal.

Of course, I wasn't seeing the woods for the trees.

I would still feel better if it was a fully covered product, but I guess that is some level of safety there.

Do you know, and I haven't looked it up yet, does Livemail download attachments and store locally before they are opened? Or do they still sit on the mailserver until actually opened?

• 4. Re: Windows Live Mail

When the user launches an attachment in WLM, it downloads it to the Internet Explorer Temp folder and launches it from there. So OAS gets a chance to block it.

It downloads all emails (assuming it is set to download the body) and stores it in EML format on the local machine. On WinXP, it's stored by default in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

I only use it with Hotmail and various IMAP/Pop accounts, but it could be slightly different for other email types.

Oh, and going back to your Outlook 10 question, McAfee will probably provide support in a later patch for VSE.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Windows Live Mail

Thanks again for the good information, I had never much bothered with Livemail before, but it's on the radar now.

On the oultook 2010 thing, yup, since the product is till in beta stage, I aint expecting full coverage yet, as you say, Patch 4 perhaps.

I guess I just wondered if others had also noticed lack of email scanning and/or managed any workarounds in the meantime.

I think we are going to have a group of systems running win7 x64 and 2010beta.

I guess the same thing will apply with Outlook 2010 though, attachments should be scanned on access.

Thanks again,

RM