Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
2474 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2010 9:48 AM by jmaxwell RSS
jmaxwell Newcomer 732 posts since
Apr 3, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 7, 2010 8:25 AM

ePO 3.5 (YES) and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Storage 1.0

Still using ePO 3.5 in a production environment and need to know if I can manage the following products using ePO 3.5 -

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Storage 1.0 - as the Viruscan Enterprise for Storage 1.0 Sales Blurb only seems to mention ePO 3.6 and ePO 4.0

Thanks

Jim

Not Again !
  • JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,868 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009

jmaxwell wrote:

Still using ePO 3.5 in a production environment

Ouch

... need to know if I can manage the following products using ePO 3.5 -

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Storage 1.0 - as the Viruscan Enterprise for Storage 1.0 Sales Blurb only seems to mention ePO 3.6 and ePO 4.0

I'm not in range of my test systems, but my immediate reaction would be:

1) Will it work?

Almost certainly not. The 8.7 install package still contains nap files, so you could probably check these in, but these will be written for3.6 and above: so the default policies will be policy objects, not hierarchical inherited policy trees like ePO 3.5 used - so the policies may not even be created. The property values reported by 8.7 may well be outside the scope of the 3.5 database. I would also think that ePO 3.5 will have no idea what to do with 8.7 events

1) Is it officially supported?

Absolutely not - even if it appeared to work, if you ran into any problems, we'd be unable to help

What worries me most is that you might be in the worst case scenario where it looks like it's working correctly - but in fact you're not protected because policies are being misapplied.

I would really, really strongly advise against this.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points