8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2010 4:40 PM by cmorgan1988

VIRUS: Vista Defender 2010

Vista Defender 2010 keeps appearing on my computer asking me to register to prevent a system attack and the viruses on my computer would only become viewable to me after registrating. The icon is on my tool bar, however it will not allow me to exit it off.

I am currently performing McAfee security scans, and it is not detecting any viruses.

Please help!

• 1. Re: VIRUS: Vista Defender 2010
          SamSwift

Hi,

Please read this document: Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting and let us know if it helps.

Cheers,

Sam

• 2. Re: VIRUS: Vista Defender 2010

Thankyou, I completed my computer updates and then after I reset the computer as required the computer screen was black- except for the virus messages.

I figred out that when certain messages from the virus appeared I was able to remove them via the task manager - this brought the computer screen back, the messages still continue to appear and I have to continously remove them.

There are still updates for McAfee required and they need internet connection. I now cannot connect to the internet and am presuming that the virus is the cause to this because I am able to connect to the same wifi with my mobile.

• 3. Re: VIRUS: Vista Defender 2010
              SamSwift

Are you able to get into your machine in safe mode?

Sam

• 4. Re: VIRUS: Vista Defender 2010

Yes, I got my computer into safe mode and scanned all the files, and still no virus is being detected. I have now managed to access the internet via a plug in device (not in safe mode) instead of using Wifi.

If this is any help the following file names appeared with the Trojan file in particular appearing when I tried to access the internet, a message stated that Trojan was blocking my access to the internet with Firefox; Trojan-BNK.Win32.Keylogger.gen and Exploit.CodeBaseExec neither of these have been identified by McAfee.

Thanks, Claire

• 5. Re: VIRUS: Vista Defender 2010

I have also downloaded Stinger and scanned my laptop twice, once on a lower level and once on the highest level and the virus was still not detected.

Please can you advise me at your earliest convenience the best plan of action as I have my dissertation due in soon and I am unable to use my laptop correctly.

Thanks, Claire

• 6. Re: VIRUS: Vista Defender 2010

Hi Claire,

Are you still haven a problem with this?If so & you are able to download programs.Go to this link and download Malwarebytes.

here is link http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

This should help get rid of it.Let me know if this works.This is a newer fake alert program i believe,so i don`t know if it will let malwarebytes finish but it should.

Good luck Jack

• 7. Re: VIRUS: Vista Defender 2010

YES, you are absolutely right.  I am so dissapointed at McCafee.  I've been a loyal customer to Mccafee this far and I encounter the same problem the individual above did with trojan.BNK.win32.keylogger.gen.  I follow the steps the McCafee Rep told this individual, but i was unsuccessful to move the trojan out of my computer; however I took your advice and it works.  I download malwarebytes and did a quick scan, it detected most of the defects and delete them all.  I then restarted my computer and do a full scan, it captures only one more defects and deleted.  So far it is working good for me. As of Mccafee, I am very dissapointed.

• 8. Re: VIRUS: Vista Defender 2010

Hello Jack,

So sorry for my late reply, the program you recommended got rid of the virus for me, thank you so much for your help, it was greatly appreciated!!!

Best regards,

Claire