You probably need to contact technical support with a latest tech support report. Initially it seems to be a configuration issue.
Do you have QOS autoshaper enabled?
For test, try disabling the VPN services (pptp/ipsec/l2tp).
when the unit pegs up to 100% or about to reach 100, try to login via telnet/ssh and run the following commands:
ps -a -- to show all running processes
top -- a utility like task manager in windows
cpu -r -- to get live cpu usage information
Try to find out which process is consuming memory/cpu too much.
Sending the output of these commands (with screenshots) will help the support to find out the root cause of your problem.
no autoshaper, content filtering, or rules are enabled. l2tp was not enabled, pptp and ipsec were. i disabled both and found no change in performance.
called support and they couldn't figure it out. they are supposedly escalating the call but i haven't heard anything in over a day.
Message was edited by: kuludown on 4/7/10 4:40:19 PM CDT
Are you equipped to do a simultaneous packet capture both ahead of and behind the firewall (but not capturing using the firewall itself) during the period you experience the problem?
An examination and comparison of the two captures may point to what the nature of the slowness is (packet loss/retransmission, DNS, arp, filtering, etc).
A SHORT (a few seconds) on the SG560U itself might be useful, but if the problem is a switch-loop/broadcast storm on one of the two sides of firewall, the capture can very quickly become too large and cause you to lose web access to the firewall (requiring a reboot).
Captures made with a seperate PC listening on both sides using Wireshark or tcpdump would be most effective.
Can you Personal Message me the support ticket number ?
I am having the same issue. Is there a resolution to this. I am running firmware 4.07. CPU sits at 100 percent 35%usr and 65%kernel. I cannot seem to run the "Top" or "CPU" commands from SSH or Telnet to get the CPU info
PID USER VSZ STAT COMMAND
1 root 428 R /bin/init
2 root 0 SW< [kthreadd]
3 root 0 SWN [ksoftirqd/0]
4 root 0 SW< [events/0]
5 root 0 SW< [khelper]
37 root 0 SW< [kblockd/0]
47 root 0 SW< [khubd]
66 root 0 SW [pdflush]
67 root 0 SW [pdflush]
68 root 0 SW< [kswapd0]
116 root 0 SW< [aio/0]
172 root 0 SW< [mtdblockd]
219 root 0 SW< [scsi_eh_0]
220 root 0 SW< [usb-storage]
242 root 0 SW< [kjournald]
246 root 0 SW< [loop0]
255 root 540 S watchdog /dev/watchdog
274 root 552 S < /sbin/udevd --daemon
403 root 0 SW< [ixp400_eth]
405 root 0 SW< [ixp400_eth]
529 root 0 SW [crypto]
530 root 0 SW [crypto_ret]
693 root 1664 S statsd daemon
871 root 368 S /bin/inetd
872 root 472 S /bin/flatfsd
873 root 552 S /sbin/syslogd -n
874 root 544 S /sbin/klogd -n
875 root 368 S /bin/cron
876 root 768 S /bin/ifmond
877 root 1708 S /bin/acld
879 root 0 SW [ixp400 eth1]
882 nobody 472 S /bin/dnsmasq -k -T 0 -b -l /etc/config/dhcpd.leases -
885 root 720 S /bin/ntpd -g -n -Q -U 60
886 root 952 S /bin/nflogd -p -d -c
923 root 0 SW [ixp400 eth0]
943 root 836 S /bin/pppd file /etc/config/pppoe.eth1
6309 root 5780 S sshd: root@pts/0
8008 root 556 S -sh
26283 nobody 0 Z [sh]
26945 root 684 S /bin/httpd /home/httpd
26948 root 680 S /bin/httpd /home/httpd
27034 root 680 S /bin/httpd /home/httpd
28020 root 0 
28021 root 0 
28022 root 544 R ps
28023 root 0 
28024 root 0 
-sh: cpu: not found
-sh: top: not found
yes, we got it resolved...this is the workaround:
under network setup\lan settings we had an entry for the router's internal IP address listed as the dns and possibly as the gateway. after removing these entries, the cpu went back to normal and internet speeds work like they should.