3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2010 8:05 PM by newjack

Ave.exe

My wife's computer was infected with an virus that puts a hidden file called Ave.exe in her AppData\local folder, plus it changed a number of her registry entries to evoke the program everytime IE is called. I have deleted the Ave.exe file from the DOS Command prompt and I believe I have corrected the registry entries, but for some reason McAfee no longer works on her computer and IE doesn't allow me to access the McAfee web sites. I installed Firefox on her computer, but am still not able to access McAfee web sites.

Have you heard of this problem?

Any solutions?

PS - I couldn't find any mention of Ave.exe on the McAfee web site, but it have found scores of entries when I googled it...?

• 1. Re: Ave.exe

Hi tokenbob

How long have you had this problem?I believe this is a fake alert.There is a malware guide when you log in to the forums in the middle of the page.There is a stinger fake alert tool that will help

follow the guide exactly how it says and report back.Just to get you started,Then someone with a bit more knowledge should be able to help you from there.Unless of coarse you want to give tch support a stab.That is listed at the top of this page under usfull links.                                                   good luck Jack

better yet here is the link http://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

Message was edited by: newjack on 4/5/10 7:16:41 PM EDT
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Ave.exe

Thanks NewJack!!

I continued to look for answers and got the solution on a "MalwareHelps.org" site.  I appear to be clean now and everything is working correctly again.

• 3. Re: Ave.exe

Tokenbob,

Good to hear that.Hopefully you won`t have a problem again.But if you do that guide is on the page where you log in to community help.

Jack