1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2010 6:29 AM by Peter M

Problem with blank screen in SecurityCenter

I have a netbook, running Windows XP and have Mcafee Total Protection.  It all works just fine except for one thing.

I'm trying to view "History and Logs", which is accessed under McAfee Resources, after clicking "Navigation".  I am shown a blank white area, where the pop up screen should appear.

The other options under McAfee Resources work just fine.

What should I do?

• 1. Re: Problem with blank screen in SecurityCenter
          Peter M

Is this XP SP3 or not?  That information is displayed if you right-click My Computer and go to Properties.  Also is your Internet Explorer a beta version?  McAfee SecurityCenter relies on an up to date operating system and in particular the browser being set at default levels.

I just checked my History & Logs in my Notebook which is running XP Pro SP3 and can view them OK.

The other thing you could try is the Virtual Technician as it can often automatically fix problems.

http://service.mcafee.com/MVT.aspx?MVT=1&&lc=2057&sg=TS&pt=1

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/04/10 1:01:15 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: Problem with blank screen in SecurityCenter

Thanks.

• Is this XP SP3  -  Yes.
            • Is Internet Explorer a Beta version?  -  No (I have IE8, but tend to use Firefox)
            • All software/programs are up to date.  I run a regular weekly checkup.
            • I have  run the Virtual Technician.  It tells me some problems could not be fixed and lists the following:
              • VirusScan 3-User McAfee Total Protection 14.0.306 - Problem: Language is not supported
              • AntiSpam 3-User McAfee Total Protection 11.0.261 - Problem: Missing Files (1)
              • McAfee Online Backup powered by Mozy 2.0.234.0 - Problem: Language is not supported.

Should I try a fresh download of the McAfee software?

• 3. Re: Problem with blank screen in SecurityCenter
              Peter M

Contact Technical Support Chat first linked via Useful Links at the top of this page.

Do it from the notebook.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/04/10 5:35:55 EDT PM
              • 4. Re: Problem with blank screen in SecurityCenter

I'll go to that link too, but I'm also having the same problem. I not using Beta; have windows vista.

• 5. Re: Problem with blank screen in SecurityCenter

I'm wondering if the original poster found the solution and what it was.

I went to the chat and wasn't comfortable with what the technician wanted to do, as I was already getting uncomfortable with someone I don't know having remote control of my computer. I wish I had aborted the chat since it was a download, but I didn't realize at the time what the implication was. The tech said something about a missing dll file, I believe, but I don't recall exactly and I just opened the text log to see exactly what he said, but the log ended right after it began, pretty much after hello. A lot of help that is!

I've had problems with my computer (hp digital imaging monitor stopped working) since the chat even though I went to a restore point before that.

So if anyone at all has a solution to this problem, I would be grateful to know what it is. I don't have much longer on this subscription and may need to take up Comcast's offering of Norton, though I pay for Total Protection and had planned to keep using it. But it's not worth it if a portion is not working correctly.

Thanks...

• 6. Re: Problem with blank screen in SecurityCenter
                    Peter M

You shouldn't worry about having a remote Technician access your machine.  They are on your side after all.

Basically it's due to something, somewhere not being up to date and /or interfering with the application and that remote session might have been able to discover what it was.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/04/10 9:00:56 EDT AM
                    • 7. Re: Problem with blank screen in SecurityCenter

Hi.  I am the OP.  Yes the problem is all solved.  The chat technician managed to fix the problem.  From what I could see, all he did was uninstall some malware scanning software I have (all reinstalled since), and then uninstall and reinstall McAfee.  He may have done something else in the background that I couldn't see.

I wasn't too comfortable with someone having remote access, but to be fair nothing bad happened.  The only issue I had with the chat technician, is that he didn't talk to me as he worked.  I had to be the one asking questions in order to find out what he was doing.  At one point (nearly 2am for me) it all had gone quiet.  On asking if he had finished I got no response, and so simply shut down the machine.

I got the impression he was working on other customer issues at the same time, which is absolutely fine, but it did seem to mean long periods of inactivity, which is why it was 2am before I gave up.

Message was edited by: looeess on 26/04/10 07:34:04 CDT
                      • 8. Re: Problem with blank screen in SecurityCenter
                        Peter M

looeess wrote:

Hi.  I am the OP.  Yes the problem is all solved.  The chat technician managed to fix the problem.  From what I could see, all he did was uninstall some malware scanning software I have (all reinstalled since), and then uninstall and reinstall McAfee.  He may have done something else in the background that I couldn't see.

I wasn't too comfortable with someone having remote access, but to be fair nothing bad happened.  The only issue I had with the chat technician, is that he didn't talk to me as he worked.  I had to be the one asking questions in order to find out what he was doing.  At one point (nearly 2am for me) it all had gone quiet.  On asking if he had finished I got no response, and so simply shut down the machine.

I got the impression he was working on other customer issues at the same time, which is absolutely fine, but it did seem to mean long periods of inactivity, which is why it was 2am before I gave up.

Message was edited by: looeess on 26/04/10 07:34:04 CDT

Glad it's fixed for you.

• 9. Re: Problem with blank screen in SecurityCenter

Hi,

Thank you for posting, OP, and Ex-Brit. I too am glad the issue is resolved for you. I guess my reticence for giving control over to support is due to past history with other tech support folks.

I think I'll remove and reinstall this software and see if that helps before I go any further. I'm wondering since no intrusions are logged if something is perhaps not being detected and slipping past? I'm fairly certain I don't have any malware issues.

Also, I noticed after I last posted that my backup computer also has the same issue. It's a Windows XP (this one is Vista). I downloaded the current version of McAfee Total Protection onto the backup system about a week ago. I onlly recently reinstalled it on this computer because an older interface was showing.

Thanks!

1 2 Previous Next