3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2010 10:38 AM by Dinz

Which steps should I take to optimize the performance of my computer?

I currently run the following Microsoft programs to keep my computer in good shape:  Defragmentation, Error-Check, and Disk Cleanup.  I understand that running Defragmentation via McAFee is the same as running it directly via Microsoft.  If I run McAfee QuickClean, however, does this do the same thing as Windows Disk Cleanup?  Should I still run Windows Error-Check?

My computer is a Dell Studio XPS 435MT 64-bit Core i7 processor; Vista Home Premium.  My McAfee subscription is for Total Protection.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Don

• 1. Re: Which steps should I take to optimize the performance of my computer?
          Dinz

Hi Don100,

Windows Error-Check can repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors.

Running McAfee QuickClean identifies and deletes files that accumulate when surfing, including cookies, e-mail, downloads, and history???data that contains personal information about you. It protects your privacy by offering secure deletion of this sensitive information. Specify the files you want to eliminate and wipe away the clutter without deleting essential information.
          Hence running both of these is yet recommended as they serve in two different ways.

Moving thread to Quick clean 9 2009

Thanks,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Community Moderator

on 4/1/10 1:05:54 PM GMT-06:00
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Which steps should I take to optimize the performance of my computer?

Thanks Dinz.  That's helpful.

Does McAfee QuickClean do anything different than Windows Disk Cleanup?  Should I run them both?

Don

• 3. Re: Which steps should I take to optimize the performance of my computer?
              Dinz

Hi Don100,

Yes, it does , Mcafee quick clean performs certain additional cleaning activities like Deletes shortcuts to folders or programs which no longer exist , Deletes file fragments no longer associated with a program, Deletes all files in your temporary directory. Please go through this document as it would help you in performing a few steps that would improve your computer’s performance.

Regards,
              Dinesh K