1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2010 3:24 PM by Peter M

Updates crashing Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista

Every time I run the Windows update, my Toshiba laptop crashes.  Today when I updated McAfee alone the same thing happened.  We have done a system restore and had to disable McAfee to be able to start the computer without crashing.  I get a blue screen and it does a crashdump.  Can you please help me understand how to fix this problem?  I believe that we originally downloaded the McAfee software, and we are currently using Windows Vista on a 32 bit OS.  We are using McAfee Security Center v 9 and McAfee virus scan v 13.5

• 1. Re: Updates crashing Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista

I'm also having the same problem with my toshiba laptop.  I also have no idea how to resolve this issue and neither do the tech support at the store that I purchased my laptop from.  Does anybody know how to resolve this issue?????

Message was edited by: Sid on 04/04/10 00:03:52 CDT
          • 2. Re: Updates crashing Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista

My toshiba L500D 00F windows 7 64 bit was crashing with blue screen during windows update and during installation of mcafee, both. did several times complete restoration. mcafee customer service told me that their AV is not ready for 64bit and advised to install 32bit. did and again still crasing with blue screen. but this time the windows update worked. i don't really know where's the source of the problem. toshiba? windows 7? mcafee?

strangely my gateway desktop running win 7 64bit with mcafee without any problem.

• 3. Re: Updates crashing Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista
              Peter M

There is an issue on certain machines (it would appear Toshiba machines especially) running an x64 system although the software is working just fine on mine (Alienware) in Vista and Win 7 x64.

I'm raising this issue at our Monday afternoon conference call with McAfee.

Meanwhile please contact Technical Support Chart again and insist that reinstalling a 32-bit version of Windows is NOT an option (even if it is) and ask them to escalate the issue.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/07/10 9:50:18 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: Updates crashing Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista
                Peter M

Moved to SecurityCenter 10 - 2010.

• 5. Re: Updates crashing Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista

spoke to mcafee several times. they did some diagnosis remotely. same  problem. asked me to wait 4 weeks as their developers working on this  issue. in the mean time i also spoke to toshiba and their customer  service rep sounds less knowledgeble than a road side cheap computer  store technician.

my own thought about the whole  situation could be untrue, but i will explain. so many things happend  and after first crash i was totally lost what to do, how to resolve. so  didn't have a clear mind. now after several days, thinking about the  incidents making a bit sense to me.

the first time my  system crashed with blue screen was during toshiba bios update to ver  1.40. Afterward the laptop would crash everytime after the windows logo appears during boot. So i had to do a complete recovery from toshiba dvd. it was working fine then 2nd time crashed during mcafee installing. (make sense that mcafee was running first place during bios installation and was trying to load during windows boot). this time resolved by choosing an earlier system restore point. but kept on crashing few occassion during microsoft office trial uninstallation, during windows update etc. etc. So in my opinion the culprit is the new bios of toshiba!

Message was edited by: prodipx on 7/19/10 10:56:59 AM CDT
                  • 6. Re: Updates crashing Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista
                    Peter M

Interesting.  I'll mention that too on our call and see what they say.  Perhaps they've encountered it elsewhere.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/07/10 12:04:47 EDT PM
                    • 7. Re: Updates crashing Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista

really appreciate that Ex_Brit

any word from them?

• 8. Re: Updates crashing Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista
                        Peter M

Sorry I forgot to post what they said.  It’s a vscore issue and have confirmed the same. The patch build is undergoing some internal testing and to be released after test.  When I don't know.

I'll ask at our next call if the patch is imminent but that isn't until 09 August.

• 9. Re: Updates crashing Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista
                          Peter M

This is possibly a BIOS problem with Toshiba units.  Will advise as soon as I hear anything.

The latest SecurityCenter 10.5 is supposed to have dealt with it.

Try the following:

1.  Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" (XP), Programs, Uninstall a Program (Vista, Windows 7) in Windows "Control Panel".

2.  Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe).  This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer.  (You must have Windows 7,  Vista, XP or 2000, SP4 to use this tool)

3.  Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!

In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

If you can't find these files don't worry.  It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4.  Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/08/10 4:46:08 EDT PM
                          1 2 Previous Next