1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 7:04 AM by paullotion

Reply to Paul Lotion re: being informed about Vista Antispyware rogue via an update

Hi Paul, you asked me the following question in your last reply Vista Antivirus 2010 help. http://community.mcafee.com/thread/23224?start=15&tstart=0

"As too being informed about Vista Antispyware rogue via an update, would you have been interested if it did not affect you, would you find it annoying if it occurred every time  there was a new rogue on the loose(or similar)?"

My response is I would rather be informed. However I realise some thought needs to be given on how best to do this. I am sure those who have used this forum recently would be able to help in this. There are some fairley experienced users and many who aren’t so familiar with many of the terms used, which needs to be taken into account.

McAfee frequently updates itself on my 4 laptops, so it would be useful to have a menu item that informed us of 'potential viruses', such as have been experienced by many of those who have posted messages in the last months or so. I have read most of them and there are many similar issues and corresponding replies. I realise that this would be normal as they appear under Malware Discussion, however, it seems many have been hit by a similar issue relating to fake/rouge antivirus programs. I called them 'potential viruses' because they are known by some of their names but as McAfee has pointed out they change themselves and cannot always be detected by McAfee immediately. However, the general information can be given on or via the McAfee Security such as;

McAfee is currently aware of a number of antispyware rogue programs posing with names such as...(I have seen a long list of them on one postings from McAfee, which I am sure you are aware of, if not I can look to find it again) to avoid infection do not click on the X button but instead close them by... if you do become affected please visit...(various articles have been written by McAfee and repeated on many of the posting, which could be listed and would help take the sting out of this for many people).

and point people to;

Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting

Maybe just making people more aware of the relevant McAfee Community pages might help.

The problem for most of us, and I am sure many more to follow, is that we are unlikely to visit the McAfee Community until we have been infected, then many are in a highly anxious state due to the often severe effects. I appreciate that McAfee has provided very good support on these pages and advised on ways to deal with issues. In the meantime many of us have spent a great deal of time trying to deal with the issues and, in my case, having to catch up on the lost time.

The documents on how to deal with Malware and things like the McAfee stinger program only become known once we visit the Community and, as I said, this is mostly after an infection has occurred. If information is passed to us in advance I am sure it would benefit everyone. It is best to be forewarned.

Finally, once people know that such rogue antivirus programs exist knowing also, in advance, not to click on the X button to close it, as this installs it, would be extremely useful and probably avoid many people becoming infected and having to create more postings. I have not been able to find the article again and had wanted to save it and pass it on. Please could you let me know if you know where I can find this article, as it would be useful to make others aware of it.

Hopefully, what I have written makes some sense, I have tried to sum up my thoughts and have given this some thought although I am sure that opinions may vary. There, however, must be always ways to improve what is a very difficult situation for both the users and for McAfee.

Thank you for your past help.

regards

Chris

Message was edited by: cpdp on 31/03/10 09:07:35 CDT
        • 1. Re: Reply to Paul Lotion re: being informed about Vista Antispyware rogue via an update

My response is I would rather be informed. However I realise some thought needs to be given on how best to do this. I am sure those who have used this forum recently would be able to help in this. There are some fairley experienced users and many who aren’t so familiar with many of the terms used, which needs to be taken into account.

There are many ways to be informed about any type of outbreak in the wild, you can visit Mcafee Avert Blog:

http://www.avertlabs.com/research/blog/

Or you can visit S!Ri blog on rogue applications:

http://siri-urz.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B01%3A0 0&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00%2B01%3A00&max-results=50

McAfee frequently updates itself on my 4 laptops, so it would be useful to have a menu item that informed us of 'potential viruses', such as have been experienced by many of those who have posted messages in the last months or so. I have read most of them and there are many similar issues and corresponding replies. I realise that this would be normal as they appear under Malware Discussion, however, it seems many have been hit by a similar issue relating to fake/rouge antivirus programs. I called them 'potential viruses' because they are known by some of their names but as McAfee has pointed out they change themselves and cannot always be detected by McAfee immediately. However, the general information can be given on or via the McAfee Security such as;

McAfee is currently aware of a number of antispyware rogue programs posing with names such as...(I have seen a long list of them on one postings from McAfee, which I am sure you are aware of, if not I can look to find it again) to avoid infection do not click on the X button but instead close them by... if you do become affected please visit...(various articles have been written by McAfee and repeated on many of the posting, which could be listed and would help take the sting out of this for many people).

Nothing wrong with having a link in the GUI to the forums of free support, some vendors already do this. Not sure how you would deliver alert messages, some user may think they are infected if it is too aggressive. Does this message appear in the takbar or would it be presented as a new window which the user has to close, i can just see all the gamers going mental with that one.

If you really wish to see something like what you have described, then i suggest you visit the Mcafee Beta forum, if you convice the developers then it might introduced in a later version

http://forums.mcafee.com/forums/

Good luck, i shall close this thread.

Message was edited by: paullotion on 01/04/10 13:04:18 IST