Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is locked
293478 Views 509 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2012 1:12 PM by Ex_Brit RSS Branched to a new discussion. Go to original post 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 51 Previous Next
  • clarksn Newcomer 2 posts since
    Mar 5, 2012

I've got this mcshield malware too on my main laptop and as I type this I am wading through treacle.  Seems to take from immediately after a reboot to a few hours until it takes hold of my machine.  Unfortunately my Mcafee antivirus software doesn't recognise this pernicious and insidious process and kill it off

More seriously though, you google this problem and get loads of reports and it is even on the main panel of the Mcafee community forums so why there is no evidence of them taking it seriously escapes me.  It is this kind of problem that will send their users to other antivirus products in droves - come on Mcafee, get your finger out and sort this - I can't believe you have never seen the problem as if you haven't you have a totally useless testbed setup.

• thecreator Veteran 1,135 posts since
    Nov 6, 2003

Releived wrote:

Hi The Creator,

Not sure why you think I had Norton on my machine. I only ever had Macafee (now removed).

I am amazed Macafee said they could not reproduce the problem. The technician who had access to my machine managed to get mcshield to run at 100% for aconsiderable time and reproduce the 1 Million page faults per MINUTE.

Having gone to AVG now I just look with interest and dismay at the indifference the problem gets.

Hi Releived,

Sorry, I was talking in general, that you can't have two Anti-Virus Programs on your computer at one time. I did not mean to imply that you, yourself had Norton.

=== thecreator - One of the people, that has a very good memory.

See the McAfee Builds I am running at: https://community.mcafee.com/groups/mcafee-total-protection-beta/blog

TheCreator's Installations

Don't forget to Vote: https://community.mcafee.com/ideas/1341
    Like to See a Way to Limit CPU Usage for Real-Time Scanning
  • astor Apprentice 108 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010

clarksn wrote:

you google this problem and get loads of reports and it is even on the main panel of the Mcafee community forums so why there is no evidence of them taking it seriously escapes me. 

There must have been any number of users who have contacted technical support about this very issue and nothing was resolved.  It' just would not make sense otherwise.  This problem should have been resolved and the thread closed over a year ago.  So, I agree the evidence is very strong that McAfee is not serious about resolving it.

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,357 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002

This issue hjas been open since September 2011 the post then was tacked onto an old thread. They had a mcshield/mcagent issue that was fixed late 2010.

That said I am discussing this with Mcafee. That is 1 of my duties I feel that I concentrate on major issues and keep them active till fixed.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 7/03/12 6:34:09 AM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Releived Newcomer 35 posts since
    Feb 8, 2011

Based on my experience the technical support person had access to my system for over 2 hours, got exactly the same problems as I did. In conclusion he told me that it was "something else" causing the issue and really told me off for running other things on my machine like email and internet etc.

After that I removed Mcafee.

I note in looking at BT community sites the issue has been rattling round there for some considerable time.

I utterly sympathise with Peacekeeper as Mcafee don't appear to listening.

Whether BT will take notice of people like me refusing their offer of Mcafee remains to be seen.

Nov 23, 2002

I do not suppose this is only on the BT supplied version?

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• clarksn Newcomer 2 posts since
    Mar 5, 2012

No - mine is a purchased download direct from McAfee

Nov 23, 2002

Thanks that killed 1 brillant idea...

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

• astor Apprentice 108 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010

Peacekeeper wrote:

Thanks that killed 1 brillant idea...

I know you mean well.  I think I can speak for most of us here.  However, you have to admit it's a fruitless effort to defend McAfee's position.  McAfee are not interested in resolving this issue.  It has been proven over and over throughout this thread.  So, to avoid embarrassing yourself please stop defending their position.  It's better to say nothing if you have nothing to offer to resolve this problem.  I say this with the greatest respect to you so please don't take this the wrong way.

Message was edited by: astor on 6/03/12 3:26:46 PM
    Nov 23, 2002

I was defending them? I think not more I am banging my head agaist a brick wall. They cannot repro this nor can I on 9 installs across my family. This has been a item on many Monday calls but I keep getting the impression that they cannot repro the issue nor do logs so far show a cause.

If you follow we 3 main mods we do support Mcafee but give them a rocket or 3 now and again. If they do things slow we do tell them mostly privately and pass on anything we find.

I have an idea any1 interested in uninstalling Mcafee and installing teh 2012 beta?

Dats are not used  the same way as in 2011 so maybe the issue is fixed there.

Any1 got an hour or two?

beta .mcafee.com register and download after a full removal

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.e xe

The latest install is stable and scheduled scans will start on time.

Note malwarebytes etc need uninstalling before installing any mcafee versions. you can reinstall after the install provided it is the free version of MWB

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 51 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points