1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 2:57 PM by Dinz

The detection signature file is between 8 and 29 days old

Can anyone shed any light onto why when i press fix to fix the problem nothing happens. It appears that i am getting updates and when the arrow has finished circling I get a pop up appear at the bottom right saying:

Did you know that you can receive regular updates for your McAfee security software if you register it? Register now - it's easy and it ensures you have the latest protection for your PC.

Updates are waiting for the following products:

3-User McAfee Total Protection

When I click on register my programs now, nothing happens, so I am left with the black exclaimation mark on the yellow circle saying my computer is not protected.

I have had this problem on 3 occasions and eachtime the yellow warning becomes a red warning and says its over 30 days old, the only way round it was to reinstall mcafee security centre. However each time i do, i still cannot register.

I did not download the security centre, I bought it from PC World

I imagined this would be a fault and tried looking at several similar topics on here, I have made sure my computers time, date and timezone are correct.

I have also renamed the DAT file in mcafee virus scan to DATold and clicked fix again, restarted my computer and tried updating, this does nothing either.

Is the only thing I can do reinstall my secrurity centre every 7 days?

I'm running Windows XP SP3, Firefox 3.6.2, Internet Explorer 8

Any help much appriciated

• 1. Re: The detection signature file is between 8 and 29 days old
          Dinz

Hello 054,

Your mcafee software would not get updates until and unless its registered and if the updates fail to install constantly after 8 days, the McAfee protection status icon will be displayed in the system tray. Double-clicking the icon will open McAfee SecurityCenter which will report the problem: Your signature files are 8-29 days old. If the updates continue to fail, after 30 days the problem description will change to Your signature files are more than 30 days old.

Please run the removal tool from here and restart the computer once.
          Insert the mcafee disk and after the installation completes , you will be prompted to register your programs , enter your credentials and after registration , open security center and verify that the subscription expiration date is displayed .

Kindly get back to us if you have any problems on the same with the exact error message

Regards,
          Dinesh K