1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2010 3:39 AM by JoeBidgood

ePolicy and Novell

Hello.  A quick question: Does ePolicy Orchestrator require Domain Membership?  We are a Novell shop and I am fighting to get ePO added to our environment.

Thanks,

Sara

• 1. Re: ePolicy and Novell
          JoeBidgood

It doesn't require it per se, but some things - most notably push agent installs (where the agent is sent form the server to the client machines) - can be problematic if you don't have a standardised admin account on the clients.

But other than that, no, there's no requirement for domain membership - a lot of people run ePO in a workgroup environment without problems.

HTH -

Joe

• 2. Re: ePolicy and Novell

Thanks Joe.  We do actually have a set of local Administrative accounts in our clone image, which is installed on each machine.  The push installs could then utilize the main Admin account to force push an update?

Another network tech said something about it requiring a separate eDirectory.  Is that the case?

Thanks,

Sara

• 3. Re: ePolicy and Novell
              JoeBidgood

Thanks Joe.  We do actually have a set of local Administrative accounts in our clone image, which is installed on each machine.  The push installs could then utilize the main Admin account to force push an update?

Correct - although you only need this if you're intending to push the agent to the machine. You can use other methods, such as running the agent installer locally, or via a login script, if necessary. Once the agent is installed it runs as local system and so does not need the admin account any more - all updates, product deployments and so on are done as System.

Another network tech said something about it requiring a separate eDirectory.  Is that the case?

Forgivemy ignorance - I'm not sure what you mean by eDirectory in this context?

Regards -

Joe

• 4. Re: ePolicy and Novell

Oh I get it. We use Zenworks actually to install software or software updates on the machines that are not a part of the clone image.  The agent installation won't be an issue.  So the ePO management then can be done with a Novell Netware environment without any "Domain Membership requirement" by ePO - correct?  That was the question from our Network Engineer.

The other network technician (who is now my boss) was looking over the ePO spec pdf sheet I emailed him.  He called me this morning and his comment was that ePO would require "another eDirectory server, which we cannot do".  I am not sure where he got that from, and have a call into him to ask.  I have been mostly on the software delivery end the past few years.

Thanks,

Sara

• 5. Re: ePolicy and Novell
                  JoeBidgood

sarawitherow wrote:

Oh I get it. We use Zenworks actually to install software or software updates on the machines that are not a part of the clone image.  The agent installation won't be an issue.  So the ePO management then can be done with a Novell Netware environment without any "Domain Membership requirement" by ePO - correct?  That was the question from our Network Engineer.

Correct

I'm not sure about the eDirectory thing - if you can get him to clarify, hopefully we'll be able to straighten it out.

Regards -

Joe

• 6. Re: ePolicy and Novell

Joe are you a technician at McAfee?  It would be great for our Engineer to discuss this directly with a McAfee technician who can work thorugh any issues and hesitancy he is having with using ePO in our Netware environment.  I have wanted to use this management tool for a while and am hitting a road-block.

Thanks,

Sara

• 7. Re: ePolicy and Novell
                      NMaurMcAfee

You can always use a "period" as the domain and that will allow you to use a local account on the machine.

Example: When deploying an agent use the following credentials

Domain: .

User: Administrator

Pass: *******

• 8. Re: ePolicy and Novell
                        JoeBidgood

Yes, I work for McAfee (we're the ones with the little M symbols under our names )

By all means get your colleague to start a thread on this community - that way I can answer, as can any of my colleagues  - as well as any other users out there with Netware experience (as I'll be the first to admit I'm not a Netware expert.)  That way the thread will be archived and searchable which I think would be a good idea...

Regards -

Joe

• 9. Re: ePolicy and Novell

Joe: OK great, I have asked him to work with me on this - am waiting for some time with him.

Also could you possibly take a look at my other big item on the discussion boards titled "VSE 8.7i w/Patch 2 Error 1920"?  I have not gotten any adequate help with this from McAfee.  They have only stated that the Report Patch 2 is supposed to clear the issue.  That is exactly the version I am using and the Error 1920 still happens when the installer attempts to start services at the end of the installation.

Thanks for any help,

Sara

1 2 Previous Next