Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
8750 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2010 8:40 AM by jmcleish RSS
rhythm_methods Newcomer 216 posts since
Aug 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 26, 2010 11:52 PM

Windows 7 : Virus Scan 8.7 Patch 3 and Antispyware : Action Centre Reports AV disabled after PC resumes from standby.

Hi,

On my laptop I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit.

All is fine except that when the system comes out of standby, windows action centre reports that virus scanner is disabled, and also prompts me to go online to purchase antispyware software.

If you restart the system, all is fine. It just happens when the system comes out of standby.

To me, it looks like the AV is still running, all the services seem to be going ok, and the VS console reports on access scan enabled.

Has anyone else seen this or know of soloution?

I had a quick search but didn't see anything.

Thanks

RM.

Server: ePO 4 Patch 6 (Waiting for overseas managment to upgrade to SQL2005 so I can update to 4.5)
Agent: 4.0.0.1444 (Waiting patiently for Agent 4.5 patch 1), Wrkstns: VSE8.7P3, Servers: VSE8.5P8 & VSE8.7P3
  • sameer172006 Champion 410 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009

rhyth_methods,

This was a known behaviour with Patch 2. Infact, Every few seconds the Windows Action Centre would pop up alerts saying that the Virus and Spyware was turned off . In reality, Everything was running smoothly. This issue was supposedly taken care of with patch 3 but I havent come across the specified error myself.

I would make sure that my VSE console is showing its active and mcshield.exe is running in the processes. Then I would just disable the alerst from the Action centre. This happens due to an error in the communication between the VSE console and the Windows Action Centre.

Thank you

Sameer

• D-Fens Apprentice 116 posts since
    Feb 14, 2006

I'm also seeing this behaviour. it's not the know security center pop-up after 40 secs, all mcafee services are running. patch 3 is installed. after a reboot, all is fine again. I'm not seeing this in an managed environment.

• Mal09 Champion 428 posts since
    Feb 18, 2009

I have seen something similar with Vista x32 and Patch 3. When a laptop goes into Hibernation and is later restored, the alert pops up that AV is disabled - however the McAfee icon is correctly displayed etc.

Doesn't happen on every restore though.

Sounds to me like a potential issue with timing, ie Windows Security Centre checks at a time when the service is being started or something similar.

Message was edited by: Mal09 on 04/04/10 08:39:51 GMT
  • Stanw Newcomer 19 posts since
    Nov 13, 2009

I'm also seeing these alerts from Action Center, when McAfee is clearing up and running fine.  Already using patch 3, it helped for a while, but now I have hundreds of systems with this alert.   My system has displayed this alert for hours now.

Windows 7 (64-bit)

VirusScan v8.7 w patch 3

AntiSpyware module v8.7

Epo Agent v4.5

Attachments:
  • akl71 Apprentice 160 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008

Same problem here, Win7 x64, VSE 8.7P3 (without Antispyware)

Actioncenter reports VSE is disabled but VSE is enabled and runs fine.

We have disabled VSE notifications from Actioncenter.

• jmcleish Volunteer Moderator 965 posts since
    Jun 20, 2003

Everyone who is experiencing this should open a support case so that McAfee know that this is happening.

---------------------------------------------------------
    ePO 4.6.7 (x86)
    ePO 4.6.7 (x64)
    VScan 8.7.0 p4,p5 
    VScan 8.8 p3
    VirusScan for Mac 9.2/9.6
    Groupshield 7.0.1
    EEPC v6.1.1/ v6.2.1
    MA  4.6.0.2292 / 4.6.0.3122/ 4.8.0.1500
    MA Mac  4.6.0.1694/ 4.8.0.887

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...