8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2010 2:21 PM by raw

epo 4.5 disaster recovery disaster

i'll start off with a summary, and my question.

Windows Server 2008 R2, running MS SQL Server 2008 R2 (express)

ePolicy Orchestrator 4.5 Patch 1

Update to Java(TM) 6 Update 18 - right before epo server crashed

Then Disaster Recovery fails; backup restores DB okay, but dependency initialization errors after reinstall/recover.

has anyone run into this, or knows how to fix this?,

about a week ago now i installed/updated filemaker server advanced 10 to 11, which required a new java update to be installed(java 6 update 18). i only mention this because shortly after that the epo server pretty much died. and unfortunately it was a new install of 4.5 patch 1, just getting the settings to where we would have liked. so there were no previous backups.

after noticing the epo services not starting, trying to start them would give this error (The McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator 4.5.0 Application Server service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.) and for the other 2 services, the dependency group failed to start.

the directory structure and database theorhetically were okay as they were not being used, so i followed the mcafee epo4.5 disaster recovery procedures from this kb (https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66616).

tried ALL of the steps several times over. every time the same end result happens..

the services start, and even the server.log says the app server is ok, with the exception of 2 errors

20100324162454    E    #7576    MCUPLOAD    Failed to process the secure communication request.  Error=The thread is not in background processing mode.
      20100324162454    E    #7576    NAIMSRV     Recieved an error from the server.  Error=401.

and on the admin login page for epo.. its a dire situation..

DataChannel - Dependency scheduler had initialization error 
      LYNXSHLD1510 - Dependency EPOCore had initialization error 
      AvertAlerts - Dependency scheduler had initialization error 
      LYNXSHLDPARSER - Dependency core had initialization error 
      GSD7REPORTS - Dependency core had initialization error 
      VSEMAS850000 - Dependency VIRUSCAN8600 had initialization error 
      issue - Dependency rs had initialization error 
      VIRUSCANREPORTS - Dependency CommonEvents had initialization error 
      rsd - Dependency Notifications had initialization error 
      GSE7REPORTS - Dependency GROUPSHD7000 had initialization error 
      Notifications - Dependency response had initialization error 
      VSCANMAC8610 - Dependency ComputerMgmt had initialization error 
      VIREXREPORTS - Dependency core had initialization error 
      remote - Dependency core had initialization error 
      SITEADV_1500 - Dependency EPOCore had initialization error 
      epolicensing - Dependency console had initialization error 
      epoMigration - Dependency AgentMgmt had initialization error 
      Countermeasures - Dependency ComputerMgmt had initialization error 
      EPOCore - Dependency ldap had initialization error 
      SITEADVMETA - Dependency ComputerMgmt had initialization error 
      response - Dependency scheduler had initialization error 
      help - Dependency core had initialization error 
      SMDWIN__7000 - Dependency ComputerMgmt had initialization error 
      aramid - Dependency CommonEvents had initialization error 
      AgentMgmt - Dependency RepositoryMgmt had initialization error 
      GROUPSHD7000 - Dependency ComputerMgmt had initialization error 
      InstallHelper - Dependency core had initialization error 
      EPOAGENTMETA - Dependency ComputerMgmt had initialization error 
      scheduler - Dependency console had initialization error 
      ComputerMgmt - Dependency ldap had initialization error 
      PolicyMgmt - Dependency ComputerMgmt had initialization error 
      VIRUSCAN8700 - Dependency EPOCore had initialization error 
      VSEMAS870000 - Dependency VIRUSCAN8700 had initialization error 
      console - Dependency core had initialization error 
      ldap - Dependency rs had initialization error 
      VIRUSCAN8600 - Dependency EPOCore had initialization error 
      rs - Dependency console had initialization error 
      RepositoryMgmt - Dependency ComputerMgmt had initialization error 
      core - Error creating bean with name 'core.ext.taskGlobals' defined in URL [jndi:/localhost/core/WEB-INF/beans.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalStateException: The following extensions are in a partially installed state: [HOSTIPS_META:] 
      CommonEvents - Dependency ComputerMgmt had initialization error

now, theres no way to login to admin, core/config shows all the proper settings, the database can open and it tests okay.

im at a loss on what to do besides start everything from scratch again.

any advice hints tips suggestions etc are welcome.

~G

Message was edited by: Greg J on 3/24/10 5:45:16 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: epo 4.5 disaster recovery disaster
          Laszlo G

It looks like your ePO cannot connect to the database, does it also tells that your license key is invalid when you try to log in?

• 2. Re: epo 4.5 disaster recovery disaster
            jmcleish

I came across a similar error recently.

I setup ePO with my domain account (which ePO caches and uses to connect to the DB) I changed my domain password and then had initialisation errors on the login page similar to you.

You can create a local user in SQL (full rights to the ePO DB)  and change the ePO config to use this to connect to the DB. (However, I would advise you to create a new user with dbo permissions on the ePO db- don't use the sa account)

Instructions here:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52969

Not sure if this applies to you and the account you set it up with??

Jane

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: epo 4.5 disaster recovery disaster

no, my license is correct and it doesnt say otherwise.

and after about 2 dozen attempts im just going to start over from scratch.

thanks for the comments, unfortunately nothing really answers for the bug i ran into.

since i used all the same usernames and passwords as when it was setup a month ago, and the same license, and directory path..

the only thing that makes sense is that somewhere a file or certificate got corrupted, crashed the server, and i backed up a broken server.

thanks for the effort,

~G

Message was edited by: Greg J on 3/26/10 5:07:43 PM CDT
              • 4. Re: epo 4.5 disaster recovery disaster

im marking this answered because i gave up trying to fix that bug, however im sure the problem still exists, im just not going to continue with it 'broken'

• 5. Re: epo 4.5 disaster recovery disaster

It seems that content of C:\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed folder and ePO Database Table OrionExtensions entries are not exactly matching.

To check the contents of the OrionExtensions table, access the SQL Tools and run the following T-SQL command:

Select * from OrionExtensions Order By [Name]

If you find any folder that has no entry in OrionExtensions table then delete it or if you find any folder missing that has entry in OrionExtensions table then restore from your previous backup.

• 6. Re: epo 4.5 disaster recovery disaster
                    brentil

When migrating or restoring from one system to another, especially if your folder path is changing you have to hunt down some extra settings otherwise ePO will keep barfing all over itself.  I've gone through this twice now moving an installation from the C: to D: and now from moving to  \Program Files\ to \Program Files (x86)\.

Most importantly and this is missing from the McAfee migration documentation RENAME or DELETE the folders that exist on your new installation prior to putting the copies from your old installation in place.  The issue comes from you removing items that are installed by default by ePO that you don't need.  This results in the DB having no knowledge of them but there exists the files for it on the system.  It then tries to load them and gives an error about partial installs and haults the load and dumps a bunch of junk to the ePO login screen.

Restore the contents of the following backed up folders to their original locations:    
                    ...\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB
                        ...\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\Extensions
                        ...\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\Conf\Catalina
                        ...\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\Keystore

After you've moved the files over and if you're restoring to a differently named folder structure you then have to modify all of the files in the following directory;

...\Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\Conf\Catalina

All of these files store the location data of their extension information which needs to be correctly updated to your new folder structure.

• 7. Re: epo 4.5 disaster recovery disaster

Was someone able to solve this issue?...

I'm having exactly the same issue since last week, and even working with help desk experts we haven't find out how to solve it. I've tried to aply KB66616 several times, and if I use the Apache2\Conf folder from my restore, the event parser and server services just don't start. But If I restore only the DB\Software, DB\Keystore and Server folders (avoiding restoring the apache2\conf folder) the services starts ok, but I get the same errors with the extensions.

Any clue on this will be very helpful

Thank you!!

El mensaje fue editado por: mfragoso on 3/11/10 17:47:39 CDT
                      • 8. Re: epo 4.5 disaster recovery disaster

@mfragoso

i solved it by clean installing it again. no restore, starting from scratch.

the only thing i would suggest to prevent this from happening (again) is when you have your setup right where you like it. make a full backup, i do 3 parts now..

1. backup with the disaster recovery procedure method

2. then do a full folder copy of the install.

3. have all the original installs of the modules and extensions in the backup folder so i know what went into it.

with that i backup about every few months.

so far havent had to use it yet.

for the problem i mentioned in the OP, i would try the other suggestions people have posted, and if all else fails (takes too long to fix) clean install.

the worst part of the install, is losing the keystore. having to remote into 50-100 pc's to run framepkg isnt fun. (not on a domain here)

hope that helps anyone else in this situation.