1 of 1 people found this helpful
I suspect the Alerts must have been disabled as part of the policy that you configured on ePO.
Please check the same. It must be under the On Accesss Scanner Settings.
I had orginally suspected that, but the policy has all component alerts checked. And the AV client has the "Show hte messages dialog etc.etc" check in the Messages tab for General settings.
In EPO on the Additional Alerting Options it does suppress informational messages < 1.
I know we used to get notified, at least when I tested EICAR.
I suggest you turn off the supress alerts option and then check it you get alerts or not and tehn we will figure out a way as to whats wrong.