4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2010 10:01 AM by Runhard49

McAfee versus McAfee Plus

I have been running what I'll call the standard McAfee security package for well over a year.   All of a sudden McAfee "Security Scan Plus" showed up on my system.  I don't recall downloading it myself.   I can see that it's a big memory hog at over 3500KB from a review of Windows temp files.     I'm wondering if I can simply delete "Plus" and continue on with the plain old McAfee security that I've always had.    I'm not a computer expert so I don't know whether I need "Plus" or not..  Does anybody have any thoughts or experience?   Thanks.

• 1. Re: McAfee versus McAfee Plus
          Dinz

Hi runhard49,

McAfee Security Scan is a security monitoring program that helps you make sure your anti-virus and firewall software is active and protecting your computer. It also keeps track of when the last successful scan took place and tells you if you need any additional protection against malware.

McAfee has partnered with other popular companies that are concerned about the security of your computer.  McAfee Security Scan is provided as a companion to programs that you may download from these companies. It requires no subscription and can be removed without removing the additional tools you installed. To uninstall it , please refer to this
          document .

Regards,
          Dinesh K

• 2. Re: McAfee versus McAfee Plus

Thanks.   So are you saying that McAfee "Security Scan" is the feature that I am calling McAfee "Plus"?.      I have not subscribed to any other security software.    I'm still a little confused about how "Plus" simply appeared.    

Mar 24, 2010
            Re: McAfee versus McAfee Plus

Hi runhard49,

McAfee Security Scan is a security monitoring program that helps you make sure your anti-virus and firewall software is active and protecting your computer. It also keeps track of when the last successful scan took place and tells you if you need any additional protection against malware.

McAfee has partnered with other popular companies that are concerned about the security of your computer.  McAfee Security Scan is provided as a companion to programs that you may download from these companies. It requires no subscription and can be removed without removing the additional tools you installed. To uninstall it , please refer to this
            document .

Regards,
            Dinesh K

• 3. Re: McAfee versus McAfee Plus
              Dinz

Hi,

Can you provide me with a screen shot of your Mcafee Plus ? so that I could provide more inputs on this .

Also open Mcafee security center (antivirus) and let me know whether it states Am I protected YES or Your computer is secure .

Regards,

Dinesh K

• 4. Re: McAfee versus McAfee Plus

I opened it and it does say that I am protected.      I have to leave the computer right now.   The information you provided has been most helpful.   I'll check back for any other commets later.