1 2 3 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 8:56 PM by peter_eepc

WinTech for MEE 5.2.x with SATA drivers?

mwilke

Anyone have a copy of WinTech for MEE 5.2.x with SATA drivers built in?

I have a copy of WinTech with SATA drivers but its for the pre 5.2.x builds and doesnt work on any 5.2.x machines now.

• 1. Re: WinTech for MEE 5.2.x with SATA drivers?

Wilke I don't think it exists. The last one that was sent out I think was 5.1.7....even with the 5.2.3 build. Maybe with 5.2.4?

• 2. Re: WinTech for MEE 5.2.x with SATA drivers?

Safetech 5.2.3 is out there though.

• 3. Re: WinTech for MEE 5.2.x with SATA drivers?
              mwilke

I am in the process of making one now... if it works ill let everyone know how i did it and see if there is a way i can post it on here for others to download.

• 4. Re: WinTech for MEE 5.2.x with SATA drivers?

Yea we've tried it too so if you get it working let us know. Even after creating it, it still shows up as 5.1.7 for me.

• 5. Re: WinTech for MEE 5.2.x with SATA drivers?

I think just the version number in the code is wrong - as long as you got it from the latest CD image it should be fine? Right-click sbwintech.exe and look at the file properties, it should be version 5.2 something.

Message was edited by: SafeBoot on 3/24/10 10:04:58 AM GMT-05:00
                  • 6. Re: WinTech for MEE 5.2.x with SATA drivers?
                    mwilke

I got a WinTech ISO that works with SATA drives now for MEE v5.2.x

if anyone wants it email me at: michael.wilke@gmail.com

• 7. Re: WinTech for MEE 5.2.x with SATA drivers?

so, how do we stand re software piracy here?

• 8. Re: WinTech for MEE 5.2.x with SATA drivers?

Never thought of giving out the ISO as piracy....

I only give the pre-built ISO to licensed clients. Bart's PE is free to download and the client can follow the documentation to build the CD along with their licensed MEE product. Is it piracy because of the Windows I386 folder that you have to include when building the PE? I guess it is also piracy because there are MEE system files included. I can see the case if you are building it on a Windows 7 PE or using certain third party SATA drivers (which usually are free).

I always gave the ISO to client(s) because

A. I do not have time in a short engagement to teach the client how to build a WinTech disk.

B. The documentation is sometimes confusing to clients (at least it was in the past).

C. It looks good in the client's eyes because they do not have to create one on their own.

D. The client may have limited technical staff and need one quickly for an emergency.

I think if you wanted to help stop piracy of this disk the 'Code of The Day' should not be universal. It should be proprietary to the client's database. To me it is like giving out a universal Windows Product Key.

• 9. Re: WinTech for MEE 5.2.x with SATA drivers?

If you're redistributing someone else's IP without their permission, it's copyright theft. At least you need something in writing from Microsoft and McAfee to give you permission to redistribute on our behalfs.

You could I guess ask your customer to put in writing that they take full and complete responsibility for the licencing of the material you are giving them - that may get you off the hook I guess?

Even building a PE CD with W7 is not "freely distributable" - the licence holder is allowed to create and use it for the licence holders personal use - they are not allowed to give it (or assign rights) to anyone else.

Oh, and the COD does not give you the right to use anything, it just unlocks the dangerous features. It's a trivial safeguard to stop stupidity. We assume that if you have the product installed, you have a licence for it, seeing as the EEM licence control is pretty robust.

;-)

1 2 3 Previous Next