1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2011 8:53 AM by Coricz

I get "your computer is at risk..check for updates" message

cepulamea

I have Mcafee Total protection 2010.  On my pc running windows Vista 32bit I get an message stating "your computer is at risk, check for updates".  When I check for updates it tells me my computer is up to date.  Then in about 30 minutes I get the same red message telling me to check for updates and that my pc is at risk.  Also when I try to log into mcafee.com to get technical assistance my computer will not display any mcafee web pages.  I dont know what is going on...right now I am using my wifes computer to post this message cause she is having no problems with hers.  The only thing I have done was...I ran a malware/antimalware program and removed some infected files.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: I get "your computer is at risk..check for updates" message
          Dinz

Hi,

Could you please provide certain information about the computer like ;

What is the operating system ?

How is the computer currently connected to internet ? (cable/wireless)

Did we have any malware infections in the computer previously ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

• 2. Re: I get "your computer is at risk..check for updates" message
            cepulamea

Thanks for the reply,

My OS is Windows Vista 32bit

The pc is connected via wireless dsl internet.  Other pages load up fine, its just the mcafee pages will not load.

To the best of my knowledge there were no malware infections directly related to Mcafee that were removed.  I clicked on a link from facebook and my windows were filled with that fake adds for spyware infections....the ones that look like a scan of your pc which is liked to a spyware removal tool for you to purchase.  I could not do anything without those pages popping up, so I ran the malware program which fixed that particular problem.  I am currently at work, when I get home I can post the log files for that batch of infections that I removed.  I have them saved on my desktop I believe.

My problem at this time is that I cant update my mcafee files, nor can I run the virtual technician or anything....I have to go to another computer to even log into my mcafee account.

Again thanks for the reply - looking forward to fixing this issue.

• 3. Re: I get "your computer is at risk..check for updates" message

I am having the same issues!!! please provide me with any solution you get.  I am mad because I have McAfee .  I am going to mostly likely buy an Apple now.  However I need to acccess things on that userid.  If you find a solution e-mail me at  (email id removed by Mod)

Thank you

Message was edited by: Dinz for security purpose  on 3/24/10 6:21:38 AM GMT-06:00
              • 4. Re: I get "your computer is at risk..check for updates" message
                Dinz

Hello cepulamea,

Since the computer was infected by malware there is a chance that it could have changed your DNS settings, please verify that your DNS settings look as below

TCP Ip properties.JPG

Also click start – all programs – click accessories
                Right click on command prompt and click Run as administrator
                In the command window type ping download.mcafee.com and check whether the computer gets a valid reply .
                You should not receive 127.0.0.1 , which is a
                loop back address

Do report back with this information, so that we could proceed accordingly.

Regards,
                Dinesh K

• 5. Re: I get "your computer is at risk..check for updates" message
                  Dinz

Hi apo71llo,

Do you receive any other error message in the security  center apart from Your computer is not secure ?
                  Also let us know what is your  operating system ?
                  How is the computer connected to internet ?
                  Do you have any other security software installed in the computer ?

PS : Being a public forum, Please avoid posting your email address and I have removed the same for your security purpose .

Thanks,
                  Dinesh K

• 6. Re: I get "your computer is at risk..check for updates" message
                    cepulamea

Ok I checked my wireless network connection properties and my image is a little different but im sure this is what your talking about.  I show internet protocol version 4 and 6.  They both show the properties where it is to obtain the ip and dns server automaticly.  Now the ping did not work.  The message I received was - ping request could not find host download.mcafee.com.  Please check the name and try again.  I will attach a picture of my properties window, also will attach the malware log...this is the infections I first removed.

• 7. Re: I get "your computer is at risk..check for updates" message
                      cepulamea

Another question...should I try this Secure2Kbootcd.exe that I found in the discussions?  Do you know much about this program?  I will wait to try it untill I hear what my next options are from you.  Thanks again.

• 8. Re: I get "your computer is at risk..check for updates" message
                        cepulamea

I downloaded and ran this Secure2kbootcd.exe and it worked.  My computer will again access Mcafee web pages.  No more redirected google searches.  The download came with 2 scans that can be performed online or offline.  I ran these two scans and found a total of 19 trogans and adware infections.  Then I ran the boot cd and let it run its course....rebooted my pc and everything seems to be good.  Thanks for the replys and this forum is wonderful.

• 9. Re: I get "your computer is at risk..check for updates" message
                          cepulamea

apo71llo as I stated in my last post this downloadable cd (Secure2kbootcd) fixed everything that I can tell so far.

I will post the thread link here - http://community.mcafee.com/thread/6923

I do recomend using it, but read about it first....I read everything and then felt comfortable enough to use it and I am glad I did.

1 2 Previous Next