4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 8:09 AM by eldaine

McAfee Virtual Technician wont's run

MVT is downloaded but will not run and Real Scan will not stay turned on (turns off after 7 seconds). Real Scan was staying on until computer was turned off.

• 1. Re: McAfee Virtual Technician wont's run
          Dinz

Hi eldaine,

Please follow the below steps to re-enable the real time scanner :

Ø  Check and delete if you have any other security software installed in control panel and their files  folders in C:/program files & common files.
          Ø  Click Start, Run, type services.msc, and click OK.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users should click the Windows Orb, type services.msc in the search box, right-click services.msc, select Run As Administrator, then click Continue.

Ø  Locate the McShield service and check the status. If the status is Stopped, right-click the McShield service and click Start.
          Ø  When the status shows Started, close the Services window.
          ØOpen McAfee Security Center and verify that Real-Time Scanning is enabled.
          Ø  Restart the computer and verify that Real-Time Scanning remains enabled. 

Regards,
          Dinesh K

• 2. Re: McAfee Virtual Technician won't run

Hi Dinz;

After reboot, Real Scan still needs to be turned on but doesn't go off every 7 seconds. I followed your suggestion, McShield shows as "Started". I still have to turn on Real Scan after start. I am also getting "Some components of ActiveShield are either missing or might not have been installed properly. Please reinistall ActiveShield." I looked on the McAfee website but cannot find reinstallation info. Do you know where it is?  Thanks!

• 3. Re: McAfee Virtual Technician won't run
              Dinz

Hello eldaine

The error : Some components of ActiveShield are missing can be  caused due to several reasons like,

Active shield.JPG

Any other other anti-virus programs are installed
              Any older version of mcafee programs existingin the computer.

Please check whether there exists any other security software in control panel or its remnants in C:/program files or common files and delete of found.
              The steps to uninstall mcafee using the removal tool and to reinstall is explained in this
              document
              Do report back if you need any further assistance on this.

Thanks,
              Dinesh K

• 4. Re: McAfee Virtual Technician won't run

Hi Dinz;

I think that fixed it: no error messages after restart.  Thanks!