1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2010 3:25 PM by sarawitherow

5400 Engine not updating

We currently have VSE 8.5i Patch 8 on XP machines.  The 8.5i Patch 8 installer has engine 5301 in its installation.

I downloaded the 5400eng.exe to update the engine.  Strangely when I run it I get the following message:

"Product already running latest engine files."

Any ideas why as it states clearly it is at "5301.4018"  (32-bit)

Also has McAfee dropped support for Engine 5300 this week in its daily updates?  I noticed in a fresh installation of 8.5iP8 that it is no longer trying to update the engine at all.

Thanks!

Sara

Some more information:

Before running the 5400 Engine Superdat

The registry settings are: In HKLM\Software\Mcafee\AVEngine:

EngineVersion32Major = 5301

EngineVersion32Minor = 4018

EngineVersionMajor=5301

EngineVerisonMinor=4018

AVDatDate = 2009/08/12

I then run the 5400eng.exe, and get the error message "Product already running latest engine files."

Restarted the machine.

Back in HKLM\Software\Mcafee\AVEngine:

EngineVersionMajor=5400

EngineVerisonMinor=1158

AVDatDate = 2010/03/17

But the information displayed to the user is the attached jpg file with the old Engine 5301 and old DAT date of August 12th. So it looks like it is actually updating the Engine and DAT files, but the "About VirusScan Enterprise" info window is inaccurate. This will be a problem with my users who will think they are not being updated. Ideas??

Thanks, Sara

Message was edited by: sarawitherow on 3/18/10 8:37:35 AM CDT
        • 1. Re: 5400 Engine not updating

Some more information:

Before running the 5400 Engine Superdat The registry settings are:

In HKLM\Software\Mcafee\AVEngine:

EngineVersionMajor=5301

EngineVerisonMinor=4018

AVDatDate = 2009/08/12

I then run the 5400eng.exe, and get the error message

"Product already running latest engine files."

Restarted the machine.

Back in HKLM\Software\Mcafee\AVEngine:

EngineVersionMajor=5400

EngineVerisonMinor=1158

AVDatDate = 2010/03/17

But the information displayed to the user is the attached jpg file with the old Engine 5301 and old DAT date of August 12th.

So it looks like it is actually updating the Engine and DAT files, but the "About VirusScan Enterprise" info window is inaccurate.

This will be a problem with my users who will think they are not being updated.

Ideas??

Thanks,

Sara

• 2. Re: 5400 Engine not updating
            andyross

Does it continue to report the wrong version after a reboot?

• 3. Re: 5400 Engine not updating

Yes I have rebooted a couple of times.  Still has the old data in the info screen that appears.

• 4. Re: 5400 Engine not updating

The only thing I can suggest is to run 5400eng.exe with the /F switch (forced install) - although you may have already tried this without success.

To try and replicate your issue with the 5301 engine not updating correctly, I downgraded a machine to the 5300 Engine and then patched it to 5301 (although it still had the 5923 dat file). I then forced the machine to update only the dat files. The update suceeded to 5824.So I don't believe the 5301 engine has been locked out of updating.

(Although when doing this, I had huge CPU spikes and other weird usage with CPU - so perhaps there are some incompatabilities there).

• 5. Re: 5400 Engine not updating

The 5400eng.exe will not run because as I stated it says it has already been updated.

Checking manually on the engine version and DATs, they are in fact up to date with Engine 5400 and yesterday's 5924 DAT release.  However, the issue is the reporting of the versions in the registry is no longer correct for the display to the user in "About VirusScan Enterprise"

HKLM\Software\McAfee\AVEngine:

EngineVersion32Major still has "5301"

EngineVersionMajor is "5400"

So the updaters are no longer changing the versions for the 32-bit registry settings.

Sara

• 6. Re: 5400 Engine not updating

sarawitherow wrote:

The 5400eng.exe will not run because as I stated it says it has already been updated.

Checking manually on the engine version and DATs, they are in fact up to date with Engine 5400 and yesterday's 5924 DAT release.  However, the issue is the reporting of the versions in the registry is no longer correct for the display to the user in "About VirusScan Enterprise"

HKLM\Software\McAfee\AVEngine:

EngineVersion32Major still has "5301"

EngineVersionMajor is "5400"

So the updaters are no longer changing the versions for the 32-bit registry settings.

Sara

sdat5400.exe /F will still run (and update engine files) regardless of whether it has already been updated to the 5400 engine. If you are seeing different behaviour when using the /F switch, I am not sure what is going wrong.

On a 8.7i installation, I also tried downgrading to 5300 engine, patching to 5301 engine (and checking that the registry was correctly updated), then updated to the 5400 engine and restarted. The keys you've mentioned all had the correct value.

The 5400 engine update file has been out for quite a while, and the executable hasn't changed. It's a pity I don't have an 8.5 machine to investigate further.

• 7. Re: 5400 Engine not updating

The error is more cosmetic.  As I stated, the DAT and Engine were in fact being updated each day.  However, the registry setting that indicates the version of the Engine and the date of the DAT were not being updated.  The version of the DAT was being updated, so I could easily tell that the updates were running despite the date that was displayed in About VirusScan Enterprise.  So confusion has been happening since St. Patrick's Day for my users - strange that it started failing with no changes made on our end since August.

After a lot of trouble-shooting and trial-and-error, and even putting in a Service Ticket with McAfee to no avail, I found my own solution.

In the McAfee Console, under Access Protection:

Common Standard Protection

"Prevent Modification of McAfee Scan Engine files and Settings"

Processes to Exclude:

I added "vstskmgr.exe" to the list

Once added, at the next Restart, the correct information then displayed in "About VirusScan Enterprise".

I cranked up Installation Designer 8.5 and created a settings file (VSECFG_W.CAB) with the change.  I set up an installer to drop this file into the MID folder for the users and the next time they booted their machines, the fix was made.

I find it interesting that in version 8.7i this exclusion is not listed in their default preferences but they added other McAfee exe's.

Onward to my next issue with the "Error 1920" with 8.7i Repost Patch 2 (and also in Patch 3) still being an issue despite all claims it was fixed...

Sara

• 8. Re: 5400 Engine not updating
                        andyross

That BOC update really messed things up, or at least made many issues more confusing....

• 9. Re: 5400 Engine not updating

"That BOC update"....am not sure what update you are referring to.  Can you clarify?

Thanks,

Sara

1 2 Previous Next