4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2010 2:48 AM by akl71

Install Designer 8.7 - where is the .cab file for future editing?

kjhurni

Where does MID put the .cab file in case you have to go back and edit it?

It's not in the destination folder I specified.

I vaguely remember way back when it put it into a temp folder somewhere and you had to grab it before exiting the MID or clicking SAVE?

• 1. Re: Install Designer 8.7 - where is the .cab file for future editing?
          rmetzger

kjhurni wrote:

Where does MID put the .cab file in case you have to go back and edit it?

It's not in the destination folder I specified.

I vaguely remember way back when it put it into a temp folder somewhere and you had to grab it before exiting the MID or clicking SAVE?

There are 2 basic ways of starting MID. The first stores the entire VSE setup and the second stores only changes (in the VSECFG.CAB file) that you make. Both are stored in the Destination folder you specified.

As far as 'Editing' the file, well that is not something that you can do directly. However, when starting up MID, it asks whether you want to load the .CAB file for changes or to use the settings from this local machine (where MID is running).

So, to get the .cab file created after running a complete VSE setup, you must run MID a second time and save only Changes.

Hope this helps.

Ron Metzger

• 2. Re: Install Designer 8.7 - where is the .cab file for future editing?
            kjhurni

Thank you Ron (that name is familiar, were you even in the Novell forums or perhaps I've just seen you around these ones a lot)

Anyway, got myself a .cab file and I understand the process better.

Only oddity is that I did plop the new .CAB file in and it seemed to restart VSE, but didn't show the correct settings until I rebooted the workstation, but perhaps I wasn't patient enough.

• 3. Re: Install Designer 8.7 - where is the .cab file for future editing?
              rmetzger

kjhurni wrote:

Thank you Ron (that name is familiar, were you even in the Novell forums or perhaps I've just seen you around these ones a lot)

Anyway, got myself a .cab file and I understand the process better.

Only oddity is that I did plop the new .CAB file in and it seemed to restart VSE, but didn't show the correct settings until I rebooted the workstation, but perhaps I wasn't patient enough.

Hi kjhurni,

Well, I do frequent the Novell forums on the rare occasions as needed, but I am far more frequently, here.

I suppose the changes in settings would determine if a reboot would be needed, given that previous settings may not incorporate all the prerequisites for the current settings. Though I don't think this is true in your case, things like the mini-firewall are not active until a reboot occurs. There may be other settings which follow suit. I find most settings do implement themselves immediately.

Have fun,

Ron Metzger

• 4. Re: Install Designer 8.7 - where is the .cab file for future editing?
                akl71

If you have already installed VSE, the vsecfg.cab is located in Virusscan_directory\MID\

Or if you created a package with Installation Designer you can extract the .cab from the generated .msi-file, filename is Binary.vsecfg.cab