1 2 3 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2010 3:48 AM by magiccat

Total Protection 2010 Problems?

I am having various problems with 2010. I am missing features such as shredder and the ability to view my network, my computer is running really slowly since installing it, virtual technician cannot detect mcafee products on my computer and all the help team will say is that they are aware of the problems. Anyone else totally disappointed with TP 2010

• 1. Re: Total Protection 2010 Problems?

Very disappointed.

I upgraded to Total Protection 2010 based on better features listed in their Web site.

After searching for two missing features for 90 minutes or so, I engaged their chat support. The support guy took control of my PC and just poked around for 20 minutes before telling me that the missing items were a "known issue" that would be fixed in two weeks. He then asked me if that was OK.

It's not OK.

Not when their sales Web site describes these features.

Not when their Help system describes these features.

Not when the sales person on the phone fails to inform me that the product I am buying is partially broken.

Lastly, when I went to renew my subscription this morning, the Web site quoted a $30 discount. But when I got to check out, this discount was "discounted" to $20. This is dodgy.  (This is why I called in the order.)

Not a very satisfying experience. If the issues aren't fixed in two weeks, I'm getting refund and going elsewhere.

on 3/19/10 12:20:34 AM CDT

on 3/19/10 12:21:47 AM CDT
          • 2. Re: Total Protection 2010 Problems?
            Peter M

The tools are an optional download so are not missing, sorry if the support person wasn't on the ball.

See this thread: http://community.mcafee.com/thread/22999?tstart=0

Regarding prices that is entirely the Customer Service domain and we can't help with that here.   They are available by phone (free) and online Chat also free.

See Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/03/10 8:09:49 EDT AM
            • 3. Re: Total Protection 2010 Problems?
              Peter M

magiccat, when you installed did you remove any other protection software first?  Slowness can be caused by many things including infections, rival software etc.

If it is still slowing you down, contact Technical Support Chat, they have various tools they can use to diagnose your machine to see if something is wrong.   It's free.

The 2010 product uses fewer resources than previous versions so this shouldn't be happening.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/03/10 9:21:14 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: Total Protection 2010 Problems?

Hi, Peter:

Thank you for your quick reply.

I read the referenced thread, but I'm still not certain that it pertains to my situation. I have Total Protection, not McAfee Plus or SecurityCenter 10. And I am using Vista Ultimate, not Windows 7.

I see the statement, " Right-click the taskbar icon and select Updates." My interface does not respond to right-clicks. My Updates link is set to automatically download updates install them. A manual check just told me that it was up to date. I have attached a screen cap of the Total Protection interface. Could you provide some clarification?

P.S.: I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but to no avail.

Thanks again.

on 3/19/10 11:25:21 AM CDT
                • 5. Re: Total Protection 2010 Problems?
                  Peter M

It doesn't matter what the package is, apparently some developer at McAfee decided to omit the PC Optimization tools from the initial installer, we have already complained about that.

Right-clicking the taskbar icon sometimes is a delayed response but it eventually should display a choice menu - select check for updates so it does a manual check.

Or, merely call up the SecurityCenter which is what shows in your picture and select Updates near the top, then Check for Updates at the right.

It should after a couple of redisplays show the PC Optimization drawer in the list below.  (See my SecurityCenter attached)

Expanding that will show Quickclean.  Click it and the screen will change to what is installed and what is available for installation where you can download additional software.

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/03/10 12:46:25 EDT PM
                  • 6. Re: Total Protection 2010 Problems?
                    Peter M

If no luck try this...

Click Navigation at top right.

When that screen appears click Features at  left.

You  should see a list of what is installed and what is available for  download and installation.

If Quickclean/Shredder and/or PC Optimization is  there then click it to download and install.

• 7. Re: Total Protection 2010 Problems?

Hi, there:

I have tried re-running Updates a few times. Now I get the spinning circle next to Checking for Updates that shows Completed 0%. As if it gave up.

I also rebooted, thinking that might trigger it to look again.

With regard to Navigation>Features, I have attached a screen cap of what I have. Neither Quickclean/Shredder or PC Optimization display.

Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Total Protection 2010 Problems?
                        Peter M

Then I would try Technical Support Chat via Useful Links near the top of this page.

Mine just appeared after an update, but as yours are not I don't know what else to suggest.

• 9. Re: Total Protection 2010 Problems?

I greatly appreciate you doing what you can for me.

1 2 3 Previous Next