1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 19, 2010 11:24 AM by x-imikhlin

Why could Exterminate-it fix my problem and Mcafee couldn't?

I recently had a fake alert virus affect my Windows 7 computer. I currently own a license for Mcafee and I ran a complete scan - it found nothing. I downloaded Exterminate-it and it found the koobface virus. I did a chat with Mcafee and was told to download the stinger and run it. Well the virus would not let my infected computer talk to any mcafee web sites so I downloaded it on another computer, transfered it to my windows 7 machine and ran it. It found nothing and fixed nothing. I had to go to Exterminate-it and pay $25.00 to activate my software. Ecterminate-it fixed my computer in about 15 seconds and I currently have no more problems. So I was wondering why I pay for McAfee if it cant' detect adn fix problems like this? Perhaps it is my fault because I recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. Should I have done something with McAfee to upgrade it to a Windows 7 version or is the one I have the correct one? It is:McAfee SecurityCenter build 9.15.175 and VirusScan build 13.15.116.

• 1. Re: Why could Exterminate-it fix my problem and Mcafee couldn't?

If you keep your DATs up to date, the transition to Windows 7 should not matter.

Anti-virus software alone is not enough to keep a machine secure in today's world -  it is an unfortunate fact that no Anti-Virus vendor is able to promise 100% detection rates so there will be times when you get hit by something bad. New malware is created and published all the time, therefore keeping your AV software up to date should been seen as just a part of your security defences. McAfee recieves over 50000 potential malware samples on a daily basis, and this number will continue to rapidly climb. As quick as we're writing protection and designing new technologies to fight the wave of malware, the bad guys are working hard to find new ways to beat the system.

It's not all doom and gloom though, with a bit of knowledge you can do a lot to protect yourself, your family and your data from the threats and attacks that are out there on the web.

For more information please see: How did I get infected when I have McAfee software installed? (TS100771) and 13 Ways to Protect Your System. There are also many articles available in McAfee Security Advice Center which are well worth a read.

Hope that helps,

Irene