0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 12:47 AM by danr

What is this phantom network?

Lately, on the Network Manager page of McAfee Security Center, there appear on the "network diagram" a bunch of unknown computers that purport to be be part of my "home network."  The problem is that I just have a single computer, which is connected to the internet via a DSL modem, and thus should not be part of any home network.  These mysterious devices are all represented by icons bearing a question mark, and give their IP addresses as variants of my own generic IP address, i.e. 192.168.1.x.  Also, the "Recent Events" log, under "Inbound Events" shows numerous attempts by these same devices to access various UDP ports on my computer.  I have started getting Windows error messages that pop up from the system tray which read "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network."  Again, I should not be on any network.  I scanned my computer with McAfee Virus Scan, as well as many other malware detectors such as Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D, and AdAware, and it invariably comes up clean.

It seems to me that my computer has somehow been dragooned into a "network" of some kind, for purposes unknown, but no doubt harmful to myself and/or others.

My question thus is: what exactly is going on here, and how can I remove my computer from this uninvited phantom "network" that has infiltrated my defenses?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Dan R.