1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 12:20 AM by Chandrasekar

MVT Problem

McAfee installed on a Pentium IV running Windows XP. MVT will not start and gives the following message :

MVT cannot continue until you have rebooted your PC to finish your McAfee Virtual Technician product upgrade. MVT will resume after you reboot your system.

McAfee technical support simply states that it's a problem with the MVT and that product updates may correct the problem. How do I get such updates or otherwise deal with this?

Any help, greatly appreciated & thanks.

(email address removed)

on 3/15/10 2:31:21 PM GMT-06:00

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron on 3/15/10 3:34:05 PM CDT

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron on 3/15/10 3:34:20 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: MVT Problem
          Dinz

Hi giannoni,

Click start - all programs - Start up and delete if you find any entries that say MCtask or Mcdefrag.

Then try to run MVT from http://mvt.mcafee.com and update us on the same.

Also provide some information like;

What is the computer's operating system ?

How did you install Mcafee products (from internet or through cd)

Do you have any other security software installed in the computer ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

• 2. Re: MVT Problem

Please clarify in detail your suggestions. I've tried Start then Programs, but can't find any of the 2 files. MVT will not run from the provided link. System running XP, McAfee installed from Internet, and no other security programs. Many thanks for responding, etc.

• 3. Re: MVT Problem
              Dinz

Hi,
              Click start – click All programs – There you will find an option "Start up"
              Click on that option and check whether you have those two files namely - $mcreboot / mctask (if found, right click on it and click delete)
              Click start – click run , In the open space type appwiz.cpl and from the installed programs list , please uninstall if you find mcafee virtual technician.
              Please let me know what is the error message you received when you tried to run virtual technician from my previous post ?

Regards,
              Dinesh K

• 4. Re: MVT Problem

Hi Gionnani,

It appears like the MVT installed on your system is older than MVT 5.5.1.

As the product was upgrading to MVT 5.5.1, this message was displayed "MVT cannot continue until you have rebooted your PC to finish your McAfee Virtual Technician product upgrade".  MVT should autolaunch once the system is reboted.

Pl. provide this information so that we can troubleshoot and resolve the issue.

a) After rebooting, does MVT launch or are you seeing the same prompt when trying to run MVT?

b) What is the version of MVT installed on your system?  Follow the two steps mentioned below to get the MVT version installed. 
                               a. By default MVT will be installed under '%Program files%\McAfee\Supportability\MVT'
                               b. Right click on mvtapp.exe and select properties, check the File version tab for the MVT version.

c) Did you try uninstalling MVT and then installing 5.5.1 from http://mvt.mcafee.com . If so, did this also display the same prompt.

Will wait for the information.

Thanks.

lakshmi

QA Lead.

• 5. Re: MVT Problem

I have MVT v5.5.1.0 installed, but this will not function. When I attempt to uninstall I get the message "Error 1316 A network error occurred while attempting to read file : C:\Windoes\Installer\mvt_en-us.msi". Please help me get this straightened out, etc. & thanks! ...

• 6. Re: MVT Problem

While attempting to uninstall from within MVT I get a similar error message, "Error1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\RKJ6ISJI\mvt_en-us.msi" Please help & thanks! ...

• 7. Re: MVT Problem

Hi Giannoni,

Please try uninstalling from Add/Remove Programs and let me know if you are able to do it.  

This is what I am implying happened, reading your messages

1. You clicked next in MVT UI and save the msi on one location(desktop) and did not run it.

2. Second time you clicked next button and ran MVT without saving thereby MVT got downloaded & installed in the temp location.

Now while uninstalling within mvt on the desktop, this error is displayed.   Uninstalling from add/remove should work.

Once you have uninstalled, restart the system and then please go to http://mvt.mcafee.com

Either saving the msi or run MVT directly should work.

thanks.

lakshmi

• 8. Re: MVT Problem

Many thanks for your kind response. Unfortunately, attempting uninstallation from Add/Remove still produces the error: "Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file C:\WINDOWS\Installer\mvt_en-us.msi".

• 9. Re: MVT Problem

Hi Lakshmi,

Please continue your efforts to help me resolve the MVT issue !

Very trully yours,

Steve

1 2 Previous Next