1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 15, 2010 9:05 AM by exbrit

Email attachment virus

I forwarded an email to a friend who indicates his security software "Kaspersky" indicated a virus was present in the attachment. My AOL 9.5 with McAfee Security Center indicates it is checking email and attachments but did not provide any feedback/detection of problems with the attachment. The body of the email actually contained a cartoon figure and text so I never openned the attachment. As a rule of thumb I never open attachments anyway. However, with that said, I still have the  email with attachment. Is there anyplace I can forward it and have it checked or should I assume Kaspersky is a better product? I've attached the suspect file which passes McAfee virus scan.

possibly dangerous file removed - MOD

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/03/10 10:06:32 EDT AM
        • 1. Re: Email attachment virus
          exbrit

Any anti-virus occasionally will detect something that another one doesn't.  You can submit through Webimmune or use an email method, either way the file must be zipped and password-protected using the password "Infected" minus the "" of course.

Send a file to Avert Labs for analysis:

https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp

or

http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx

or

Email file to: virus_research@avertlabs.com

When submitting samples via E-mail all samples must be packaged in a .ZIP file. When creating this .ZIP file, it is important to understand that the .ZIP can be no more than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, any .ZIP file created must be password-protected using the password "infected" (minus the ""). Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.

You will get an auto-response, then a manual one if further investigation has to be done.

1 of 1 people found this helpful