5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2010 6:16 PM by Mal09

Opening a Excel File Issue

rphillips

I have users that are having a issue opening certain excel files. Yes the Files have macros in them and Macros enabled. The issue is they get a error when attempting to open it. See screen shot.

image001.jpg

Before you ask, No. The File is not open by another user. The user its says that it is opened by is the actual user. I believe it is opened or actively being scanned by VSE. I think. Im not so sure.

If they hit cancel and wait a few minutes they can open it after a 2nd attempt or so im told.

I can not replicate this on a machine that does not have McAfee only on a McAfee managed machine with VSE 8.7 etc

Before i make a exclusion for all of xls files, anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks

Brad

Message was edited by: Brad Phillips on 3/13/10 5:01:57 PM CST
        • 1. Re: Opening a Excel File Issue

Are they local or on a network drive? If a network drive, what operating system is the filesystem?

McAfee has had some issues over the years when opening files on certain network drives.

BTW, excluding all XLS files from scanning is bad, and something you really shouldn't do.

• 2. Re: Opening a Excel File Issue
            rphillips

Im not exactly sure to be honest. I can double check, im pretty sure that it is a Network Drive on our Domain thats accesible to everyone in that paticular Department.

All of our Machines that the users are on are Windows XP SP3 fully patched Desktops or Laptops.

The Servers Hosting the drives are Windows2003 Server

Message was edited by: Brad Phillips on 3/13/10 8:40:30 PM CST
            • 3. Re: Opening a Excel File Issue
              rmetzger

rphillips wrote:

I have users that are having a issue opening certain excel files. Yes the Files have macros in them and Macros enabled. The issue is they get a error when attempting to open it. See screen shot.

image001.jpg

Before you ask, No. The File is not open by another user. The user its says that it is opened by is the actual user. I believe it is opened or actively being scanned by VSE. I think. Im not so sure.

If they hit cancel and wait a few minutes they can open it after a 2nd attempt or so im told.

I can not replicate this on a machine that does not have McAfee only on a McAfee managed machine with VSE 8.7 etc

Before i make a exclusion for all of xls files, anyone have any other suggestions.

Thanks

Brad

Message was edited by: Brad Phillips on 3/13/10 5:01:57 PM CST

Hi Brad,

Yes! My guess is that you have the client PC scanning files on the network. VSE is scanning the file as part of the reading of that file. This is locking the file and causing the open in Excel to see the lock. Once the file has been scanned, the lock is released and Excel now can open it. Note that sometimes the second attempt is read from the server's cache making the scan quicker and the lock release faster. Excel can open the file easier in this case. Also, sometimes Opportunistic Locking can create issues with this process. (Personally, I recommend disabling Opportunistic Locking but some Sync software may need it.)

To ease this problem, turn off:

VirusScan Control Panel > On-Access Scanner > Properties

All Processes > Uncheck 'On network drives'

This will keep the client PC from scanning the file prior to Excel opening the file. This loosens security a bit, but will keep the file from being locked. This also lightens the load on the network and the server.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 3/13/10 9:59:31 PM GMT-05:00
              • 4. Re: Opening a Excel File Issue
                rphillips

Awesome info, will deff let you know what happens.

• 5. Re: Opening a Excel File Issue

Depending on your environment, unchecked "Scan Network Drives" may pose a security risk. If a user is able to map to a server or other computer and then run files they are not scanned by McAfee.

Have a look at https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB61144 for an example technote about similar issues.

I really don't know why XLS files are particularly affected (they were also affected on certain Netware volumes and San volumes). Sometimes .docs are too, but normally it's not every file that is locked in that way.