5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2010 3:09 AM by Caroline

problem with VirusScan Plus

Every three or four days I get the message that updates cannot be installed and that I need to reinstall the program VirusScan Plus. I do this but a few days later it happens again. I cannot use the Virtual Technician either or access the email help. Can anyone advise?

Thanks

• 1. Re: problem with VirusScan Plus
          Peter M

It would help to know the following information:

Operating System and Service Pack?

Internet Explorer version?

Type of internet connection and speed?

You installed memory (RAM) and free hard drive space?

Any other anti-malware software installed?

Any pop-ups about this and if so, what do they say?

Is your taskbar McAfee icon a shield-shaped or a square one?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/03/10 12:38:49 EST PM
          • 2. Re: problem with VirusScan Plus

Operating system - Windows XP Home edition.

Internet Explorer 6

Internet connection 54 Mbps

100 GB memory 50% free

No other antivirus installed

Pop- ups 1. Your system is not protected. 2 Updates not possible - reinstall VirusScan Plus

Square icon for McAfee

Thanks for your interest

• 3. Re: problem with VirusScan Plus
              Peter M

For safety and compatibility reasons it should be XP SP3 - you can check that by right-clicking My Computer and selecting Properties.  It should tell you that information there.

If it is less then there is help with updating here: http://community.mcafee.com/thread/2007

Check Windows Update and set it to receive updates for all components using Microsoft Update.

For safety you should also be using Internet Explorer 8 which can be downloaded through Updates as can the above or here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/worldwide-sites.aspx

I can't stress strongly enough how important it is to keep your system totally up to date.

It sounds like your McAfee installation is corrupted so try the following:

1.  Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".

2.  Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe).  This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer.  (You must have Windows 7,  Vista, XP or 2000, SP4 to use this tool)

3.  Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!

In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

If you can't find these files don't worry.  It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4.  Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/03/10 2:37:49 EST PM
              • 4. Re: problem with VirusScan Plus

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the whole program, but three days later I get the same message - no updates and that I need to reinstall VirusScan Plus. What else can I try? I also now have Spy-Agent.bm!mem in C:WINDOWS/System32/twext.exe and in winlogon/exe which McAfee can't remove.

Many thanks

El mensaje fue editado por: Caroline on 21/03/10 3:09:27 CDT
                • 5. Re: problem with VirusScan Plus
                  Peacekeeper

Ok follow the below suggested method to check for malware variations the mcafee has not updated to yet. Remember new 1s can disable mcafee if they are not in the dat so.

Before you post:

Step 1: Ensure Windows and McAfee are up to date

Run Windows Update, and also update on your McAfee software. SecurityCenter must be green and show that protection is enabled. If it is red, please post what item shows not protected. ( ok Mcafee isn't in your case)

Step 2: Run the FakeAlert Stinger

The most common malware is referred to as FakeAlert. It looks like valid security software.

1. Please read this and follow all instructions: Important notice if you think you have a virus
                  2. Please also read this and follow all instructions: Recognizing and avoiding Rogue Software or FakeAlert Trojans

If you're still having problems, try, the following:

Step 3: Run diagnostic scanners

1. Restart your computer and press F8 repeatedly while booting up. You'll see a boot screen with choices.
                  2. Using your cursor keys, select Safe Mode. Your PC will boot in a low resolution state and most processes will not be run.
                  3. Go to My Computer (in XP) or Computer ( in Vista / 2007),
                  4. Right-click the hard drive and select Scan from the drop-down menu. You'll notice an extra taskbar icon. If you hover over it, it will display a progress report.
                  5. After the scan completes, make a note of anything it detected.
                  6. Run the Stinger you downloaded from the instructions above, but this time set the options to Report Only, and set Artemis to VERY HIGH.  
                  7. Post to the community what (if anything) the Safe Mode scan reported, and also paste in the report from Artemis.

Step 4: Submit a sample to McAfee Labs

If you know which file is infected, please upload it using any of the methods described here: How to submit a sample to McAfee Labs.

There is always a gap in protection between when a new threat hits the Internet and a security vendor such as McAfee becomes aware of the threat and and combats it. McAfee uses Artemis technology to narrow that gap, but if we miss something, we must receive a sample of it. It could be a new variant that hasn't been discovered yet. If we have a DAT for it, the automated system will send you that DAT. If we don't yet, your sample will be assigned to a McAfee Labs Engineer for investigation.

Step 5: Remove the Virus:

Self Virus Removal

McAfee provides many free tools to assist you. In addition to our Virus Information Library: http://vil.nai.com/vil/default.aspx, where you can find information on thousands of viruses and malware, you can download diagnostic tools here: http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.aspx.

There are also many freely available tools on the Internet. McAfee urges caution in their use and assumes no liability for them.

Two of the most commonly downloaded tools are:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php (This can also be downloaded and run from Safe Mode with Networking Support)

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

Be sure to use the free versions.

IMPORTANT: Neither of these tools is intended for use as a full protection virus scanner. They are best used for specific times when new malware, or a new malware variant, has released and conventional methods of removal have not worked.

McAfee Assisted Virus Removal

McAfee provides a fee-based Virus Removal Service which can be accessed here:

http://service.mcafee.com/SpecializedServiceHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=VR

If no virus is detected, the fee will be refunded to you.

Community Support

Our volunteer and employee moderators are happy to assist you within our best efforts here in the community. Please perform the initial steps 1-3 above and post the reports they generate in your initial thread. That way hopefully, we can get right to the troubleshooting.