1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 16, 2010 11:19 AM by craig357

Most efficient randomization for VirusScan updates?

I have about 10,000 clients.  What is the most effective, randomized schedule for updating them once a day during business hours?

Right now I'm repeating between 12:00 a.m. and 11:59 p.m. every 6 hours with 6 hours of randomization.  I notice that my clients are not spread across the day evenly.  Most are scheduling between 4 and 5 p.m.

• 1. Re: Most efficient randomization for VirusScan updates?

Figured it out - If your clients are only powered on during business hours, create a task that starts at 10:00 a.m. local time with 6 hours of randomization.  This will spread out all your clients between 10:00 a.m. and 4 p.m. (local time) for VSE DAT updates.  Why wait until 10:00 a.m.?  Because if a machine starts up after 10:00 a.m., it will wait until the next 'trigger' (which could be the next day or repetition of the task).  Most people arrive at work by 9:30 a.m. local time, so waiting until 10:00 a.m. helps assure the majority of the clients will get that days task, and pick a random time between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to minimize bandwidth usage throughout the day.

We had an issue with bandwidth due to rollout of VSE 8.7 requiring full DAT update (~60 mb).  Killed the branch WAN connections when 'Update at Boot' task was enabled.

Randomization is time BEHIND your trigger.  It does not spread out before.  i.e.  A 10:00 a.m. trigger time with 6 hours of randomization does not create a window from 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (3 hours before + 3 hours after) or 4 a.m. to 4 p.m (6 hours before + 6 hours after).  It creates a window from 10:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. (6 hours post trigger time).

Message was edited by: craig357 on 3/16/10 11:19:52 AM GMT-05:00