5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 6:12 AM by anandd

Potentially Unwanted Programmes: specifically Cookie-Atdmt

JWL

I use

- TP 2010, updated automatically and appears to be keeping up to date.

- SuperAntiSpyware, again up to date.

Scan daily with both and lately have also done scans in Safe Mode.

Have looked for information on the following, but have been unsuccessful.

Problem, reoccurring,  mainly

quoting from McAffee history and logs

Detection name:Cookie-Atdmt (Potentially unwanted Program), Cookie-Atdmt (Potentially unwanted Program)

Tracking Cookie:c:\Users ....\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\jan@atdmt[2].txt

Process:C;\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE 11\OUTLOOK.EXE

[date & time]    Real-Time     Cookie-Atdmt (Potentially unwanted Program), Cookie-Atdmt (Potentially unwanted Program)     Repaired (removed)

When I scan with SuperAntiSpyware it also picks up the Atdmt, quarantines and I have removed it (every time I scan!)

Also, every now and then, both seem to pick up, repair and remove

Cookie-Doubleclick [1] & [2].txt - iexplore.exe

Please ...

How do I get rid of the Atdmt thing permanently?

Use mainly emails - work related, which I have tested with the Eicar files, and these are picked up - so I presume my McAfee is working correctly there.

When I do go onto the internet, again all work related, I use Site Advisor and don't go to "un-green" sites.  Occasionally have to use MSN or Skype for work.

(My machine is definitely a thing for work ... I prefer to have pleasure outside in the fresh air!)

and how do I ensure I don't get any more of these other funny things?

I really would appreciate assistance ... otherwise I can see I am going to get into a tizz again, do something stupid like I did a couple of months ago and crash it all again 

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Potentially Unwanted Programmes: specifically Cookie-Atdmt

Hello,

These are commonly referred to as tracking cookies, you can block these cookies by doing a couple of things. First, install a host-file, i would recommend MVPS host file which you can obtain from this link below.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

You can use Hostman to install the MVPS host file if you are uncomfortable doing it manually- only install the MVPS host file.

http://www.abelhadigital.com/

Another programme to install is SpywareBlaster.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

SpywareBlaster sits in the background silently and blocks tracking cookies such as doubleclick(and more).

These programs are updated usually once a month.

• 2. Re: Potentially Unwanted Programmes: specifically Cookie-Atdmt
            JWL

Thanks for the above.

Unfortunately I am out of my depth on the MVPS host file ... spent quite a while reading and re-reading through it without becoming any the wiser!

I can manage the SpywareBlaster, but before I do may you enlighten me on the following:-

- I have always been lead to believe that running multiple "security things" on a computer could minimise the "efficiency" of them

- what is too many?

- I am running McAfee Total Protection 2010

- and also purchased and use SuperAntiSpyware as I believe this "works around" a number of AV programmes.

The above (obviously?) is not sufficient from what you have said.

So, how does one "manage" more than 2 of these things?

I have run  and saved the logs, but again to be able to post it somewhere I have to run all other sorts of things.

I am concerned I am just going to get myself into an ugly mess again where instead of getting work done on my computer I am working 24/7 on my computer.  (Roll on retirement )

If you are able to advise me on the above I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much.

• 3. Re: Potentially Unwanted Programmes: specifically Cookie-Atdmt

JWL wrote:

Thanks for the above.

Unfortunately I am out of my depth on the MVPS host file ... spent quite a while reading and re-reading through it without becoming any the wiser!

I can manage the SpywareBlaster, but before I do may you enlighten me on the following:-

- I have always been lead to believe that running multiple "security things" on a computer could minimise the "efficiency" of them

- what is too many?

- I am running McAfee Total Protection 2010

- and also purchased and use SuperAntiSpyware as I believe this "works around" a number of AV programmes.

The above (obviously?) is not sufficient from what you have said.

So, how does one "manage" more than 2 of these things?

I have run  and saved the logs, but again to be able to post it somewhere I have to run all other sorts of things.

I am concerned I am just going to get myself into an ugly mess again where instead of getting work done on my computer I am working 24/7 on my computer.  (Roll on retirement )

If you are able to advise me on the above I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much.

A host file stops you from connecting to certian sites, think of an IP address as a phone number, when you click on a link your PC will check to see if that IP/URL is in the host file, if so, your PC will connect to 127.0.0.1 which is your computers phone number, stopping you from connecting to that site.

If you are unable to install the host file manually, you can use Hostman or HostXpert to install it for you, or ask a friend/family member to do it for you.

Having Mcafee and Superantispyware is fine, never have more than one antivirs/firewall running on the same machine, SpywareBalster does not scan or remove anything, it just sits in the background blocking.

Message was edited by: paullotion on 11/03/10 18:25:20 GMT
              • 4. Re: Potentially Unwanted Programmes: specifically Cookie-Atdmt
                JWL

Great.

Will

- get on with SpywareBlocker now and

- continue persevering with the host file thing.

Your asistance is much appreciated.

Thank you.

• 5. Re: Potentially Unwanted Programmes: specifically Cookie-Atdmt
                  anandd

hi,

If you need assistance with any other detections, please start a new thread.

If you would like to send us any suspicious sample, please follow the instructions given here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2752

Once you have submitted please post up the analysis ID so that we can follow up on it for you.

Hope this helps,

Anand